I dont think I love my mom?? Is this normal

HI everyone it has been awhile since I have posted but I am having a few problems that I need some help with and this one is about my mom. Recently my one year old daughter spilt ice tea on my moms phone. My moms cup was full of ice tea she left right next to her new cell phone. My daughter grabed the cup and spilt it everywhere. My mom wasnt at home when this happened. I was at her house for a visit and so it was just me and my daughter there, anyways so i tryed to dry the phone out hoping it would work agian later. But of course it didnt so when my mom came home I had to break the news to her and told her what happened and that I would get her a new phone.

She totally flipped out on me and started yelling at me and she was like you owe me a new phone and you should have been watching her, like it was it was all my fault. I know if it was the other way around she would have still put the blame on me. I take the fault already and I told her that, but she still continues to pound it into my head. She still treats me like I am some little kid. I act more mature than she does. I dont yell at her , I dont hang up on her liek she does me. I dont understand why she does this.

I told her today that I have found a phone online for her for cheap it was the same phone that she had. Anyways she started asking me all hese questions about it like does it work and why are they selling it? I told her that i dont know yet , i said I tryed calling but no answer and I emailed him back. so hopefully hell get in contact with me agian about it. And shes like ok well you BETTER find out. she knows I am on a tight budget and she doesnt seem to care. I dont even feel like getting her a phone at all. because she treats me like crap. I try to treat her ith respect but i feel like giving up and not contacting her anymore. but i would feel bad because i know hse loves my daughter but sometimes I dont care. Anyways I am not sure what to do and I need some advice. She wont even listen to me when I try to talk to her calmly she always thinks I am trying to start fight with her when I am not. But she doesnt understand.??

PLEASE HELP

I dont think I even love her anymore

Oh good grief, she's flipping out over THAT? Kids do that stuff all the time and you can't watch them every second. Its her granddaughter you'd think she would be more sympathetic.

But ok, enough ranting. Sometimes people get insurance coverage on their phones (or its included in the price of the phone) to protect against these sort of little accidents. Any chance your mom had that on her phone? If not, give the cell phone company a call and explain the situation. Competition is so fierce these days that they might just replace the phone as a goodwill act to keep you from switching companies, etc. Or they might cut you a good deal on a replacement phone just to be nice people. Its worth a try. Sweet talk the customer service rep a bit and see how it goes. If it works, it saves you some $$$ and won't hurt your budget.

Perhaps when she cools off you'll be able to talk to her reasonably. Its just not worth throwing away a mother daughter relationship over a phone.

avman

I agree, I don't think this is a good reason to shut her out of your life or your daughters. I'm sure your daughter loves your mom a lot & it would be hard for the both of them. I think you need to have a talk with your mom. I take it you don't live with her? Well, call her up & say you want to have a talk. Tell her that if she starts yelling, or doesn't listen, then you will leave. If while your talking to her, she does yell, or doesn't listen, leave. Try what Avman suggested about calling the phone company & explain what happened. There's no harm in trying that. I do think your mom is taking this a little far over a phone, its half her fault. Why did she leave a glass full of tea by her cell phone in reach of a 1 year old anyway? You need to suggest to her that she makes her home child proof. Tell her that you don't want to bring your daughter there if there's going to be things she could get into or break, or spill because you can't watch her every little move.

Hi Jamie,

I am sorry for your situation, you seem like a smart girl, and a mature one. You dont yell at your mom and you dont hang up on her, that is a level headed thing to do. Your mom appears to be giving you an indecent amount of respect, in this situation at least, we cannot watch children every second, and even if you were the kid spilled a drink, not much anyone could have done. I have a question do you rely on your mom for alot of things emotional or financial or otherwise? If you think that she is unreasonable then have you talked to her about it, told her that she isnt a positive influence on your life, but you want her to be?

-Fisch

Family relationships have so much pent up emotions -- how do any of us make it past the age of 18? Between our parents, brothers, sisters, neighbors, how do we ever have the time to take care of our children, pay the rent, be good to our spouse? Where is all that time?? I want it returned to me now!!

That was an attempt at humor I hope that you all enjoyed that!

You and your daughter made a mistake, mom got angry, so what else is new? That happens sometimes, we all make mistakes, what makes someone first class is how do we deal with the damage of what we have created.

To err is human, to make up for the error is divine. In other words, let it go, if she wants to stay angry, that is her problem, you can't treat her any differently now that she has gotten angry, that is against the rules of the mother daughter law book. You must treat others the way that you would like to be treated, that is what Dr Phill means by you teach people how to treat you.....

If she brings it up again change the subject, or just say that you don't really want to talk about that right now. She'll get the message, don't worry, I know she will. Next time you see her, paint the biggest hugest smile on that darn face that she ever has seen....even if it is 90 degrees in the shade!!