How should I approach this situation?

I like this girl in my class who sits 2 seats in front of me and I have talked to her a few times. She went to prom, but I don't think the person she went with was her boyfriend, just a friend. I don't know her well enough just to simply ask her if she would like to do something on Friday. I need some tips on how to get a conversation started so I can at least get "friend" status with her so I can ask her if she would like to do something. Keep in mind I'm a fairly shy person when it comes to girls and I have very little dating experience.

Well how well do you know her? Is she like "Dur..Hi" or somthing or is she like "Hi Bob, bla bla bla bla"? If shes like a "Dur...hi" friend then you will have to try and get her to be closer friends with you. Instead of just saying hi, try to have a conversation with her. Talk about what she did on the weekend or ask her if anything intresting happened lately or talk about the latest gosip or whatever. Try giving her a complamentlike on her hair or something, then later as you get more close give her more deeper complaments. Eventually, you'll be closer friends so you can ask her to do stuff with you and her friends or your friends or whatever. After you get close, just wait until the right moment to asj her out.