How to approach a girl you have never met?

I am almost 22 and I go to a university. My problem is with the approach of a girl I have never met. Here is a little background: About 2 months ago I got broken up with by my girlfriend (my first girlfriend) of a year and a half. Our relationship started by us drunkenly hooking up one night, so I never really went through the whole approach process to meet a girl. I directly went into dating, and from there we began to get serious and everything was pretty easy after that point because we knew we both liked each other a lot. Unfortunately, my ex and I have all the same friends, so I want to forge out on my own some night and just randomly go up to girls and talk with them. So could anyone give me a little insight on the following concerns?

Obviously, a girl on a Thursday or weekend night will be hanging out with friends if they are at a bar. If I am by myself, should I just go up to a girl that is in a group, or should I try to single one out when she is by herself or maybe with one other girl. I am a little intimidated to go up to a group of people and chat with someone I have never met. Would a girl feel put off if I approached her out of the blue when she is out with her friends? (hopfully being single that is)

Next, when I do go up to her, I am thinking about saying something like: Hi, I noticed you a little bit ago and I think you are really cute. My name is __ What is yours. What have you been up to tonight? Are you getting close to graduating? And so on. I plan to ask about graduation to get the conversation moving into other topics. But I kind of feel weird talking about school when you are out trying to party at a loud bar. So would a girl feel put off if I introduce myself and tell her I think she is cute? I think I could hold some pretty good conversation once I get over the initial meeting aspect.

I would really appreciate some feedback from a girl on how they feel about this approach. I am a pretty nice guy, and I know how to treat a woman. I would of course ask for her number after a bit of chatting, then call her up for a date to a restaurant and then to go about for a drink afterward. Thats my basic plan, how does it sound? If any guy could give me feedback on his approach of girls in a bar at the college age I would also appreciate it.

Been there, and as a nice guy it's not easy. Nice guys get no where! Sad but ture! I was not going to change. What I found helped is letting go of that ego, and just asking her out! You have to be a bit bold, but that is the only way you are going to learn. You can ask loads of people this question and get nowhere. You need to find your way of doing things. I will not even say hello if I can't get that eye contact, but that is my way of doing things and it might not work for you. Just go for it!

Ok..I think your appraoch sounds pretty good. But don't be too eager- I don't think you should tell a girl you think she is cute right away, you need to play it a bit cooler. Try to catch her eye and smile at her. Then approach her and tell her your name, ask her if she's having a good time or whatever and then ask her to dance/if you can buy her a drink. You should be able to figure out if you have a chance by how she reacts. Personally I would love it if a guy came up to talk to me when I was in a group it shows serious self confidence but takes practise I guess!

Good luck and let me know if you need any more advice from a girl!

If you see a girl that you would want to talk to, you should first try to catch her eye but dont try to hard.If she happens to look over at you just give her a smile, and kinda go on doin your thing, everyonce in awhile glance over to see if shes looking at you and if she is slowly make your way over to her, and start talkin to her, tell her she is cute, dont beat around the bush, just play around and say things like " I lost my teddybear, can i sleep with you?" and if she laughs just say something like " oh, i just wanted to see what you would say." Have fun, its not like if a girl turns you down you will die or somethin, there are always women out there that are nice to talk to and nice looking but just remember, There is more to beauty than ones eye can see.