So there is a somewhat darker area (rather small but bigger than just a spot) on my penis (on the head). It is only on the one side and it is not dirt. It has been there forever I think and it does not hurt. I'm just a little concerned - should I go see a doctor or is it something common? Thanks.

As long as it's external, I think that you are fine. However, you must go visit the doctor. Like S4il says, perhaps it is a birthmark, especially if it's been there for a while, and does not hurt. See your primary physician first, and then get a referrel to someone 'specific' that who you have in mind. You can do so by checking doctors in your local area, and checking their background to see how many years of exptertise they have, educational background, or simply talking to your primary doctor.

Don't worry for now, just make an appointment, then you'll know! Meanwhile, you can checkout other websites for further information like MedlinPlus, my favorite source for health info. Or type up +John's +Hopkins +Birth +Marks +jpg (Or any other words symptoms that you can think about relating to your symptom) under Google. It might spit out some pictures of what you think is close to your symptom, so that you'll have further insight prior to your meeting and discussing your problem with your doctor. Take care!