Thread: How do I tell my ex that I'm getting married?

How do I tell my ex that I'm getting married?

Hi -
    I've just gotten engaged to my boyfriend, and I don't know how to break the news to my ex, with whom I'm still friends. I know my ex still has some feelings for me, though we're able to be friends without his feelings getting in the way of our friendship or causing pain to either one of us or to my fiance. I want to tell my ex in the best way possible, to cause him the least possible pain but I don't know how to approach it. Advice?

New York
    Just drop the bomb when he is feelign pretty good about himself. You don't want to ruin a great moment for him, but you also don't want to kick him when he is down.

That's tricky. Do it in person, not over the phone. Make sure you set aside a large amount of time to tell him. He'll be in shock and you might want to console him a bit. Don't drop the bomb and then say 10 minutes later, 'well, I gotta go now!'. Reassure him.

Remember - if you avoid telling him, he'll find out sooner or later from friends, and think how terrible that will be. At least this way, you get in first and tell him how you want him to hear it.

I would look at this from a rationale point of view.. I would hope this EX of yours already knows your dating this guy. And being that you are good friends I am sure he knows that you and this new boyfriend have an excellent relationship. So I wouldn't think this should be all this hard of a shock to his system.

You didn't say who did the breaking up in you and your Ex's relationship but I am guessing because he still has feelings it was you, could you elaborate why you two broke up in the first place? Is your ex single or dating?

Top Threads
ex-bf texting!!!! ? !
my bf broke up with me two months back.. he said he cant be in a relationship right now.... but I got the vibe that it was over. he texted the
Reminded of 'Enotalone' site when I was feeling bereft back in 2010
Stumbled across my posts from 2010 from a 2009 break up. I felt my pain reading the long post! I'd just split up with a girlfriend of 2 years and
Girlfriend lives with her Ex
I know it's not a terribly long time, but me and my girlfriend will have been dating/together 2.5 months this week. We've met one another's parents
I actually think I have to break no contact...
Hey guys, Broke up with my ex a few months ago. LC up until a month and a half ago, and the last time we really communicated was about 3 weeks ago;
12 years later - how do I learn to forgive?
Apologies- this is really long. Short version - Broke up with my first love 12 years ago as our lives were going in different directions, he went
can my ex really change? Should I wait for him to change?
A few months ago I fell inlove with a guy And everything was perfect. He was perfect. It's been 7 months since we broke up but I'm still inlove with
Do the holidays make anyone else miss their ex?
I just wanted to share that since it is Thanksgiving, it can be tough to enjoy the holidays this year when you recently lose the one you loved. I've

online counseling
Featured Threads
Need feedback, criticism from the men here *long*
I want to vent cuz this is bugging the hell out of me me even though I should be happy to move on. I want the perspective of men here because I feel
Should I be concernd about my ex's guy being around my son?
I was married to the girl of my dreams for 16 years until she met a guy in a cooking chatroom. The question I have is can I trust this guy with our
Struggling to figure out if she likes me or not?
I really fancy her and I still struggle with all the attraction sign things. I chose to sit at the table that I knew she'd be, because her friend
So having dinner with my ex tonight.
Recap: We dated nearly two years. I dumped him by email -- which was crappy of me, but I don't do conflict well. He was never able to say he loved
2 dates but now a new girl on the scene.
Been a while since I posted here, had a break from dating really, off all OLD and just thought I'd let fate do its thing. about a month ago I got
What are the chances that she could have gotten pregnant?
I met up with an ex from 5 years ago and in the heat of the moment we had unprotected sex. Now here are the facts: - She is 27, I'm 29. - She
Marrying someone with different level of religion understanding
Say, you're an orthodox religious man and your potential spouse has the same religion as you but with much lower level of practice and knowledge