Ask For Advice

Thread: How do I tell my ex that I'm getting married?

zinch

How do I tell my ex that I'm getting married?

Hi -
    I've just gotten engaged to my boyfriend, and I don't know how to break the news to my ex, with whom I'm still friends. I know my ex still has some feelings for me, though we're able to be friends without his feelings getting in the way of our friendship or causing pain to either one of us or to my fiance. I want to tell my ex in the best way possible, to cause him the least possible pain but I don't know how to approach it. Advice?

Beec
    Just drop the bomb when he is feelign pretty good about himself. You don't want to ruin a great moment for him, but you also don't want to kick him when he is down.

pip
    That's tricky. Do it in person, not over the phone. Make sure you set aside a large amount of time to tell him. He'll be in shock and you might want to console him a bit. Don't drop the bomb and then say 10 minutes later, 'well, I gotta go now!'. Reassure him.

Remember - if you avoid telling him, he'll find out sooner or later from friends, and think how terrible that will be. At least this way, you get in first and tell him how you want him to hear it.

Hoping&praying
    I would look at this from a rationale point of view.. I would hope this EX of yours already knows your dating this guy. And being that you are good friends I am sure he knows that you and this new boyfriend have an excellent relationship. So I wouldn't think this should be all this hard of a shock to his system.

You didn't say who did the breaking up in you and your Ex's relationship but I am guessing because he still has feelings it was you, could you elaborate why you two broke up in the first place? Is your ex single or dating?

Top Threads
I want my ex boyfriend back but I am lost
My ex boyfriend and i have history backing up to about 7 years. Never actually boyfriend and girlfriend just the timing was never right. Well this
My EX broke up with me to see what else is out there
Hi, My name is Logan and I currently just got out of a year and a half long relationship. This woman was not only my girlfriend but we were each
Should I stay or should I go?
I've done a silly thing, which has left me very much questioning my new relationship... I started seeing a guy, last year, who has a young child
Somebody tell me there is a chance
My ex GF and I dated for 7 years. I'm 47 and she's 42, in case that helps. She was "all in" from day one but I was reserved. She started talking
How to Help my Depressed Ex
I'm not here to be told "No contact will help you heal!", because that's not what this is about. This also isn't about me trying to get back with
guy from work I used to date being annoying
I recently went back to an old job that I was at four years ago. I briefly dated someone there for around two months, who then turned out to be an
Not sure whats going on
So I've posted before that i had wanted some advice on me an my ex fiancé who have been separated for two years but we were together for 5. I reach

Expert Advice
Featured Threads
Dating younger guy 24 years difference
I am 50 yrs old dating a 26 yrs old guy. We been dating each other for a couple months things are great between us. He told me he will always be
Boyfriend gets very angry if I mention his ex, is this normal?
Hi everyone! My boyfriend and I have been dating for almost 5months. He broke up with his ex and a year and a half ago. 7 months after they
Should I let my boyfriend stay overnight with his friends?
Hi there. Firstly thank you for reading this post. I am a new member to this forum, and also will soon be new immigrant of the UK so basically there
Is this abuse?
I’m desperate for some advice. I’ve been with my partner for nearly 2 years and everything has been ok, except from when he drinks. I really do not
Is there hope for me?
Me and my girlfriend of two years had been talking about moving in together lately. We didn't actually go look at any place in person, but browsed a
Bringing up trust issues at the start of a new relationship? My situation...
Haven't been on these boards since my last break up a couple years ago, and here I am about to begin a new relationship with feelings from the last
Whats my next move - Dating a girl fresh out of a relationship
Hey guys, So heres the deal. Met a girl in class and I asked her out. Her answer was "maybe" because she didn't want to say no to me but just
Ask For Advice