Ask For Advice

Thread: How do I tell my ex that I'm getting married?

zinch

How do I tell my ex that I'm getting married?

Hi -
    I've just gotten engaged to my boyfriend, and I don't know how to break the news to my ex, with whom I'm still friends. I know my ex still has some feelings for me, though we're able to be friends without his feelings getting in the way of our friendship or causing pain to either one of us or to my fiance. I want to tell my ex in the best way possible, to cause him the least possible pain but I don't know how to approach it. Advice?

Beec
    Just drop the bomb when he is feelign pretty good about himself. You don't want to ruin a great moment for him, but you also don't want to kick him when he is down.

pip
    That's tricky. Do it in person, not over the phone. Make sure you set aside a large amount of time to tell him. He'll be in shock and you might want to console him a bit. Don't drop the bomb and then say 10 minutes later, 'well, I gotta go now!'. Reassure him.

Remember - if you avoid telling him, he'll find out sooner or later from friends, and think how terrible that will be. At least this way, you get in first and tell him how you want him to hear it.

Hoping&praying
    I would look at this from a rationale point of view.. I would hope this EX of yours already knows your dating this guy. And being that you are good friends I am sure he knows that you and this new boyfriend have an excellent relationship. So I wouldn't think this should be all this hard of a shock to his system.

You didn't say who did the breaking up in you and your Ex's relationship but I am guessing because he still has feelings it was you, could you elaborate why you two broke up in the first place? Is your ex single or dating?

Top Threads
How do you turn down an ex, without looking bad?
Over the years, Iíve had exes get in contact long after we broke up, wanting to meet up for dinner or drinks, even though Iíd moved on long
We broke up 7 weeks ago and we are going on a trip together this weekend
Hi everybody, It is my first time posting. In the past few weeks I've been struggling a lot. My ex bf and I met in grad school (I am 22 and he is
Ex wants to stay friends, but has a new boyfriend
My ex and I are in our early thirties, but live across the country from each other. I'm trying to figure out what this sort of "friendship" looks
Should I still remain friends with him?
My ex and I broke up September 2015. And didn't speak at all for 4 months. Then one day last year around this time I started thinking about him and
Do I still have a chance with my ex?
so I and my boyfriend broke up more than a month ago, he said I liked him too much and he didnít like me as much as I did, he said he liked me still
A 1.5 years of NC, friends again, can of worms.
Hi everyone. Long time reader first time poster. I wanted to get some insight into my relationship w/ my ex. [B]Get ready for a read
Tough choices
About a week ago, I made the decision to leave my boyfriend of a year and a half after meeting someone else. After we discussed the reasons why and

Expert Advice
Featured Threads
Completely Confused? What does this mean?
Hi All- I was dating a guy for almost a year. We had a pretty great relationship- Things got serious. We told each other we loved each other. Even
Boyfriend told me he couldn't afford holiday, next day books one to Thailand
Basically my boyfriend of 6 months is $40k in debt (I'm debt-free). We had talked about going to Vietnam and he said he needed 6 months to save up
Not a regular here, I have a few questions...
I'll try to make this brief. Been in a relationship (23F) with a man (35) for 5 years. Typical in the beginning, though I always wondered how he
Weed or Me
Hi, I have been dating my boyfriend for a few months - he is 31 and I am 24. He has recently started smoking weed every night and I don't really
Is He Hiding from Me?
Hi All, Need some advice from those that are familiar with social media apps such as Instagram.. I'v been friends with this guy for about a
Red flag in friendship
I've been through a terrible first break up and was in a lot of pain. I was physically and mentally sick due to the stress of the break up but I'm
I broke hard NC after 7 months (B I G M I S T A K E)
No surprise, I'm absolutely devastated. She pretty much blew me off like I was a piece of trash. At first I was happy because she actually responded
Ask For Advice