Ask For Advice

Thread: How do I tell my ex that I'm getting married?

zinch

How do I tell my ex that I'm getting married?

Hi -
    I've just gotten engaged to my boyfriend, and I don't know how to break the news to my ex, with whom I'm still friends. I know my ex still has some feelings for me, though we're able to be friends without his feelings getting in the way of our friendship or causing pain to either one of us or to my fiance. I want to tell my ex in the best way possible, to cause him the least possible pain but I don't know how to approach it. Advice?

Beec
    Just drop the bomb when he is feelign pretty good about himself. You don't want to ruin a great moment for him, but you also don't want to kick him when he is down.

pip
    That's tricky. Do it in person, not over the phone. Make sure you set aside a large amount of time to tell him. He'll be in shock and you might want to console him a bit. Don't drop the bomb and then say 10 minutes later, 'well, I gotta go now!'. Reassure him.

Remember - if you avoid telling him, he'll find out sooner or later from friends, and think how terrible that will be. At least this way, you get in first and tell him how you want him to hear it.

Hoping&praying
    I would look at this from a rationale point of view.. I would hope this EX of yours already knows your dating this guy. And being that you are good friends I am sure he knows that you and this new boyfriend have an excellent relationship. So I wouldn't think this should be all this hard of a shock to his system.

You didn't say who did the breaking up in you and your Ex's relationship but I am guessing because he still has feelings it was you, could you elaborate why you two broke up in the first place? Is your ex single or dating?

Top Threads
Ex-boyfriend Stays out Late Every Night
My ex-boyfriend (together 2 years, lived together over a year) has been out at the bars until at least 11:00 pm (when he starts work at 7:30 am)
My boyfriend's ex is harassing me
Hello. I really need some help bc I don't know what to do and I'm desperate. I have a situation with my boyfriend's ex. When we started dating he
My ex bf is very confusing, what are his intentions
My ex and I were official for 3 months. We broke up in September. He was enamored with me, and thinking long term. For my bday he gave me a card that
Established Contact With Ex But Now She Is Ignoring Me Again??
Hey there, I sent my EX a closure letter 5 months after the break up. Almost as soon as she read it, she replied, apologized for everything & then
Ex-Girlfriend just wants to be Friends after breakup, but I want more.
Hey. Any help would be appreciated on this. My girl broke up with me after a fight recently. We were in a long-distance relationship. She lives in
Can't let him go
My boyfriend of two years broke up with me about 2 months ago fairly out of the blue. He said that i was the right person and it was just the wrong
Why now?
I had fallen for a man 1 year ago who had manipulated me on several levels. He dump me after a significant gift I had purchased for him (met someone

online counseling
Featured Threads
Ugly pictures
We had a professional photographer come in at work. I used the photo and put it on my dating profile. But when my Roomie saw it,she said take it
Not being "too" available.
I posted a few days ago about the younger guy I've been dating for 6 months and how he doesn't want to use BG/GF labels. I got some great feedback
I am having difficulty accepting my boyfriends bisexuality for no reason
So here goes; the main reason why I got this account here is probably because I am so ashamed of myself and that because I am surrounded by either
relationship advice
hi... I'll start by saying i'm a guy, i just really needed a woman's point of view for this, so i hope you can help me! My mom is paying for my
Seeing ex tomorrow..so confused. Need advice!
Hi everyone. I'm really confused with my ex. Dated two years; he was very hurt by the breakup. He hasn't dated many people, and I was his first
Needing advice and/or support with ex girlfriend
Ok. Long story short... I ended up in a serious relationship with my best friend of 7 years. The last 3 years of which we were in a serious
I really need some advice and a outside opinion
I really don't know what to do ... My girlfriend and I have been dating for about a year now she is no longer attracted to me but tells me she loves
Ask For Advice