Ask For Advice

Thread: How do I tell my ex that I'm getting married?

zinch

How do I tell my ex that I'm getting married?

Hi -
    I've just gotten engaged to my boyfriend, and I don't know how to break the news to my ex, with whom I'm still friends. I know my ex still has some feelings for me, though we're able to be friends without his feelings getting in the way of our friendship or causing pain to either one of us or to my fiance. I want to tell my ex in the best way possible, to cause him the least possible pain but I don't know how to approach it. Advice?

Beec
    Just drop the bomb when he is feelign pretty good about himself. You don't want to ruin a great moment for him, but you also don't want to kick him when he is down.

pip
    That's tricky. Do it in person, not over the phone. Make sure you set aside a large amount of time to tell him. He'll be in shock and you might want to console him a bit. Don't drop the bomb and then say 10 minutes later, 'well, I gotta go now!'. Reassure him.

Remember - if you avoid telling him, he'll find out sooner or later from friends, and think how terrible that will be. At least this way, you get in first and tell him how you want him to hear it.

Hoping&praying
    I would look at this from a rationale point of view.. I would hope this EX of yours already knows your dating this guy. And being that you are good friends I am sure he knows that you and this new boyfriend have an excellent relationship. So I wouldn't think this should be all this hard of a shock to his system.

You didn't say who did the breaking up in you and your Ex's relationship but I am guessing because he still has feelings it was you, could you elaborate why you two broke up in the first place? Is your ex single or dating?

Top Threads
Why is my ex-boyfriend doing this?!
I know people say you can't be friends with your ex and stuff, but when my ex and I broke up we both wanted to stay friends after because we were
Can you really be friend with you EX?
My ex asked me to be part of my life recently. We talked now and then be he wants to hang out with me more because he says that he enjoys my company
Ex wont leave me
Hi I have made it very clear to my ex that i dont want to be with him anymore. Over the past few months, we've had non stop arguments and ive had
Do you think he will contact me?
No judgement please. A guy I was seeing left me 4 his abusive ex. 2nd time they broke up this year. They were apart 3 months. He blocked me on
Is it okay to contact an ex to see how they are doing?
My first serious boyfriend broke up with me about a month ago after a year together (I'm eighteen and he's turning seventeen in a couple days, so I
insecure after relationship
I'm not quite sure how this works, but I feel as if I have bothered my friends too much and I need help getting my self esteem back. Basically, I
Not Really Sure what I am looking for
I had an on and off relationship with my 1st girlfriend since I was 18 (Female and Female) that ended when I turned 25. The reason for the

Expert Advice
Featured Threads
Don Juan President
I'm the president of Don Juans. I know all the top moves to make with females and I've had sex so many times. If a man needs advice ask right here.
Talk Dirty to Me!
OMGosh this is rampant. I have been serial dating in hopes of finding a long term relationship. BTW, nn the past two weeks I have been doing really
Is it wrong that I don't drive my parent's car to drive myself places as of now?
I am 20 and I have my driver's license but I don't have my own car yet so I have to rely on my parents and the bus to get me places but my parents
Friendship changes, how to deal?
Hello All, My friend and I are close. We consider our friendship like a brother & sister type. Lately, I've been noticing he has been treating me
Online Dating Descripton Sets Off Red Flags For Me, But Maybe Not for Others?
I have someone who has been giving me attention with Online Dating (yes, I thought I'd give it a gentle go. Dip my toe in the water even though I was
Help
Hi, I'm 37 and I have been with my partner for about 5 years and we have been married just under a year. About 5 months ago my now wife had an
Did you ever get over your first love? Post your stories!
Hello, I've been feeling kind of down lately because I always hear people saying that you never get over your first love, or you'll always compare
Ask For Advice