Ask For Advice

Thread: How do I tell my ex that I'm getting married?

zinch

How do I tell my ex that I'm getting married?

Hi -
    I've just gotten engaged to my boyfriend, and I don't know how to break the news to my ex, with whom I'm still friends. I know my ex still has some feelings for me, though we're able to be friends without his feelings getting in the way of our friendship or causing pain to either one of us or to my fiance. I want to tell my ex in the best way possible, to cause him the least possible pain but I don't know how to approach it. Advice?

Beec
    Just drop the bomb when he is feelign pretty good about himself. You don't want to ruin a great moment for him, but you also don't want to kick him when he is down.

pip
    That's tricky. Do it in person, not over the phone. Make sure you set aside a large amount of time to tell him. He'll be in shock and you might want to console him a bit. Don't drop the bomb and then say 10 minutes later, 'well, I gotta go now!'. Reassure him.

Remember - if you avoid telling him, he'll find out sooner or later from friends, and think how terrible that will be. At least this way, you get in first and tell him how you want him to hear it.

Hoping&praying
    I would look at this from a rationale point of view.. I would hope this EX of yours already knows your dating this guy. And being that you are good friends I am sure he knows that you and this new boyfriend have an excellent relationship. So I wouldn't think this should be all this hard of a shock to his system.

You didn't say who did the breaking up in you and your Ex's relationship but I am guessing because he still has feelings it was you, could you elaborate why you two broke up in the first place? Is your ex single or dating?

Top Threads
Should I reach out?
So my ex-boyfriend is an Aquarius and I knew him for about a year before we began dating December of last year for about 3 months. Towards the end of
I talked to my ex last night...
So, to anyone who doesn't know the back story... Ex and I were together four years. On February 20 he asked me for time apart so we could work on
Think I finally reached my breaking point...
So, I have posted a couple threads lately about this upcoming plan to meet up with my ex. Quick backstory... we were together 4 years. I bought a
Ex texts at 5am (probably drunk) saying "You up?"
Theres probably a million of these nonsense posts on the forums, but i was wondering what we should do when you get this text having not seen or
My ex boyfriend is weird
Well here it goes , Me and my ex boyfriend dated in 2012 and broke up at the end of 2012 , he dated someone new but he then dumped her , and we got
Made a huge mistake....
I found this site and the people on it such a great help last July when my ex broke up with me. I've got myself into a bit of a pickle and really
need some help..
my ex bf messaged and asked me if i wanted to get lunch and talk normally.. i know this means he is open to friendship for sure. but is there a

Featured Threads
He took my sisters virginity!
Well.. Here goes nothing. I don't have anyone to talk to and hoping to get some insight. My mind is confused and my heart is completely
Dating after working in the sex industry
Hey all, I'm coming out of a difficult time in my life where i worked as a sex worker. I just wanted some opinions on how to handle this when I begin
My boyfriend hangs out one on one with his ex am I right to feel uncomfortable?
Hi everyone, I posted here before about how my boyfriend and his ex are close friends. Long story short, they date for two years, realised they were
What does this mean?
I'm a 24 year old man and I've been in a relationship with my girlfriend for 5 years. But I'm feeling like this relationship is built on blind trust
Is this just "The 21st Century Woman?"
For the past 5 years, every woman I've dated (ages 25-32 we'll say) has had to stress to me immediately, before anything gets going, that they are
Venting I guess... I miss having sex.
So... I don't know if there is any real advice that can be given here. But I'm sure people here can at least relate and maybe share their
My boyfriend curses at me but says he's joking?
Hi everyone, My boyfriend and I have been dating for about 8 months and while everything has been great so far except that he curses at me but says
Ask For Advice