I just have a few questions. I'm a very white guy due to my Irish genes from my family. So it's a little bit difficult to acquire a good suntan. I was just wondering what I could do to help me get a better tan and how often I should tan. I mean obviously if I want a tan I should just go outside in the sun and take off my shirt. But my question is for how long should I do this and is there anything that can help me get a better tan faster? Thanks! Sorry for the odd question

I know of no way to tan faster. But what I offer you is a little warning. You said that you were of irish decent, well, I too am of Irish decent and let me tell you what you are looking for. There are great dangers with exposing oneself to the suns harmful rays, especially for us Irish light skinned people. There is skin cancer, sun poisoning, and many more. You need to be careful in your pursuit of the perfect tan. Have you ever seen a thirty year old woman look like she is fifty? Most of the time it is due to too much exposure to the suns ultraviolet light. Be careful!!!

Also, why do you feel the need to have a tan? If people cannot except you for who you are and all of your faults are included in that then you need them not to be around you. Life is too hard to go around and worry about others opinions of you.

Neallo

You could always try the fake tan. There are some that work well and look real and others that don't look so good. The only draw back is that the lotion can smell and only last a few days and the tanners that offer the fake spraying don't last long either. The only other good thing is that some fake tans will give you a tan in a half hour, some take longer. I'm sure you are looking for the real thing and something that will last. I myself have some Irish in me and I don't tan at all really, but I need to get some color in my skin. I recently got my driver's license renwed and the picture that was taken looked like i was dead, I was so pale.

I agree with those who said not to get a tan when you have a light skin. Tanning is never safe, not even in tanning salons. In some scientific studies, people who tanned in salons were over 50 percent more likely to develop malignant melanoma. Any tanning also increases wrinkling and skin speckling and freckling. Ultraviolet rays are not your friend, no matter where they come from, or whether they are the UVA or UVB forms of radiation. And I personally don't think tans look good on people of Northern European background. I like how naturally darker-skinned people from Latin America and Africa look, but that comes from natural substances in the skin. But there are exceptions even there. Did you know that Bob Marley, who had a white father and a black mother, developed skin cancer, because he had less melanin than people with a greater portion of African ancestry? I speak to you as someone who has porcelain white skin and is 29 but looks more like people in their early 20s.

I think that some of you have the wrong impression's from my reasons of doing this. I just wanted a slight tan, I didn't want to come out looking like a person of black decent or something like that. I'm well aware that sun tanning can be harmful if you are in the sun for prolonged periods of time, which is why a person always wears sun screen. Despite my Irish decent, I tan decently and sometimes I tan quickly sometimes I don't.

I'm not a fan of those tanning lotions either. I haven't tried them, but just the fact that they are fake and a few days later your tan would look totally different just seems a little worthless.

I've looked at some pills that aren't new, but aren't well known. They are suppose to enhance your tanning.

I was just looking for some suggestions, not a controversy.. sorry, thanks for those who have offered their advice.

I'm not trying to change my entire tan 10 fold, I'm just trying to add a little healthy color to my complexion.

did you say you have or havent tried tanning beds because there pretty cool to use and its optional on the time and much quicker, around three minutes is equivelant to 30 minutes out side (well where i am anyway) and then you can move to seix as your skin bec omes used to it.

the only problem with this is, it gives you a base tan and colour but it doesnt make your skin any more welcoming to rays from natural light so dont expect to tan on top of that with natural sun, you may beocome red instead of brown.

if you want to sit outside well that depends on your skin and if you burn quickly, do you?

kel

hey for irish ppl the lighter skinned ppl its harder to get that ritch tan it always ends up being a burn..well u kno what my friend who is really white lo..she tans good but only if u wears sunscreen..sunscreen tans u ..when ur light complected no joke..but when she trys that stuff like carot oil n stuff she never tans always just burns..so just stick with sunscreen and aply every 20-30minutes..

hope i helped!

I repeat what I said earlier (I'm so surprised only one person agreed with me!) irish people (and swedish and other northern europeon nationalities) just plain don't look good with tans! I'm not talking a deep tan either, a "healthy glow". Forget the glow, you'll end up being healthier if you just don't mess with your natural skin color.

Have fun, Anamarie

lol i know !! but i mean for the lighter ppl SUNSCREEN it sounds funny but its like the dark ppl wanna be lighter and the light ppl wanna be darker..haha its kinda funnny..but for that guy who posted in the first place..one word or wait...umm 2?..lol Sun Screen or does it go together

Sunscreen...o F*** it..im so tired..goodnight

• 2 months later...

HOW TO GET A GREAT SUNLESS AND DANGERLESS TAN :

Option 1. Expensive But Effortless : Self-Tanning Cream

It's an expensive solution, because 1 tube of Lancôme or Clarins will cost you about 10 $ per session. (About $ 30 Canadian per tube) I get great results with it. However, my skin is not snow-white but more on the pinkyish side (awful, I know).

I have tried less expensive ones, but they can make you look like a zebra. The self-tanning lotion from Vichy gave me such a bad rash and allergy that I had to call in sick, so be careful with cheaper stuff.

I advice you try to get a sample first and try it.

Option 2. Cheap but involving a lot of efforts :

Drink carrot juice every day. I used to do that in college, and everybody thought I had been on a vacation!

Good luck!