Death and Taxes

My boyfriend and I make almost the same exact amount of money. I filed my taxes and am getting a nice refund, my BF and I looked at his, and doing a 1040ez w/ standard deductions put him owing about how much Im getting! ouch! He went to tell his boss that he needs to up his deductions and his boss said "don't worry about that, bring them in and Ill fix it" well I just talked to him, his boss has "fixed" the problem in fact now my BF is getting a refund. He fixed it by itemizing and exagerating deductions. I am really upset about it. I feel guilty for being upset about it. I mean I know its a huge help for my boyfriend, but I've always hated it when people shirk responsibility and that is what I feel like he is doing. I will have paid almost 3x the taxes he does on the same amount of money. Why can I not be happy for him? Should I?

Hi,

I don't think you should let him off the hook.

The point isn't that he shirked his reponsibility on taxes, the point is that he shirked responsibility.. period.

Is he going to lie on the mortgage application when you buy a home?

Is he going to lie on his resume when he applies for a job?

Is he going to lie to you when he shows up 2 hours late?

It SHOULD bother you and you should tell him not to file that return.

My family does that all of the time with tax deductions from their business. It's a joke. I have no respect for them when they do it and I don't do business with them.