My dad isn't reasonable!

Hi, my dad is so ignorant its disgusting. recently my dad started dating a woman. I mean im happy for him, but its pretty obvious that this woman is using my dad for all he's got. About a month ago, my dad bought her a car. He's only known her for a few months. Not only did my dad buy her a car she's also moving in pretty soon like a couple of months. My family told him that it seems pretty fast for her to move in. Then he starts screaming at us that were selfish and we want things to stay the same. We keep talking to him about it but all he does is yell and tell us that we're selfish. I want to talk to him, but all he does is yell. Any suggestions on how to make him speak to me in a rational manner?

John

I know what you mean, my roomate is the same way. He's dating this terrible girl who is totally controling him (she is also a former friend of mine) and within a week of their dating he has turned into a competely different person from who he's ever been (I have known him for about 9 years). At first I tried to talk him out of it, because it was his first relationship and he was moving far too fast, but he just ignored me and got angry. Now, I've just given up, unfortunately I figured that it's his life to screw up if he chooses to. Now I've kind of burned some bridges with them, I still get along fine with him when she's not around, but there's always problems when she's here. About the only advice I can give you is that you might want to write down your ideas and then give them to him in a letter format, and then leave while he reads it. That way, he can't interrupt you or yell at you, you can plan out everything you want to say, and he can think about what he wants to say and have to get cooled off before he talks to. Make sure you ask him why he's getting so mad and defensive about this.

I know that your situation is different with you since he's your father, and this woman may be officially living with you (as opposed to my roomate's who just sleeps over with him all the time), but maybe this will help some. I know that this isn't very encouraging, but I guess I'm hoping for a little advice as well. So if anyone has any advice specific to my situtation, I'd appreciate it as well.