I have worked for a company in an industry devastated by the economy and wracked with layoffs. It is a professional organization and image is important, so many of the layoffs have been disguised as performance based (i.e., evaluation based) dismissals instead of economics based. This has the effect of essentially destroying the careers of those laid off.

I survived for four years at this company while I saw friend after friend and workmate after workmate get dismissed/laidoff. I am one of two remaining employees from when I started. Many of those dismissed have not yet found permanent positions, and it has been over two years. I was one of the survivors, but I decided to be proactive and try to do some outside marketing to get some clients and client interest in the company. I was successful in acquiring one client and thought the prospects were looking up. I was, of course, naive.

It turned out the client I brought in was snatched up by a surperior, someone whom I had trusted to be looking out for me. Of course that was not true. This person took credit for the client and then proceeded to give me a horrible evaluation. I talked to the head management guy whom I also thought I had a good relationship with, and it turned out he was not looking out for me either. Finally, and most depressingly, my designated mentor, a person I had truly trusted, also did not look out for me, and sided with the management guy and the surperior who took my client. I was depressed.

Finally, over the holidays, I had surgery for a chronic condition that was causing me pain over the past few years. Two days after this surgery, my wife went into premature labor and gave birth to our first child 2 1/2 months early. He spent 6 weeks in intensive care and was released. Then the bombshell. I was laid off. I got word from my so called mentor who had the nerve to start the conversation by asking how my child was doing.

You see, the company I work for is a leftover of an older company that went under during the watch of the current managers. They bungled the whole operation and sullied a prestigious name. Many of the good professionals left and abandoned the idiot managers. At the last moment another company took over, but they left the old management in place. Big mistake. The same problems existed as before. No deal flow, no revenue, just stop gaps, no solutions. We still have more upper management people than lower level employees/professionals (i.e., we are top heavy by almost 2 to 1), and each of the management members do nothing but play power preservation games. They don't care to raise, train or bring up anyone (lots of lip service). It's sink or swim and you're on your own. There is no plan for the future. They all seem to be trying to bide their time to retirement or something better for them.

Of course, a lot of employees who were loyal to the company were not shown the same loyalty back. Many of these people's careers have been destroyed. They had a chance to leave when things looked grim, but stayed and were rewarded with pink slips. I have become one of them.

Now, I have no idea what to do. Of course, I am angry, confused, bewildered and stunned. That will wear off I guess and proceed into mild and then strong panic. What am I to do? I got a family, medical bills, but no future. Are people that cruel and duplicitous? Is this what all this corporate work stuff is all about?

I feel for you man. I've been in the corporate world over 10 years and I learned that its nothing but crap, and it all floats to the top.

I got laid off a year ago, I lost my girlfriend/fiance because of it, my house, my health, and everything else I had. Why? Because I didn't keep my mouth shut...the company I worked at was going down the toilet and I could see it happen all around me. I tired so many times in so many different ways to get things working, but every step of the way I was hitting roadblocks and incredible resistance. My 2 old bosses, a director and a vp of operations who both wanted to turn things around like I did, got kicked out before me. In the span of 2 years almost everyone who watned to help the company was removed systematically, until the only people left were the ones who all worked together to ruin the place. Eventually most of the upper managment saw me as a threat also, and someone who didn't play along with the team, becasue I was one of the only people with enough guts to speak up that was still left.

People don't want change, they like things the way they are. The place could be burning down and they would tell you everything is ok. Even as things got worse and worse all the managers and directors just played political games, and set up processes that did nothing except made them look busy.

I've learned that most people are cruel, and manipulative and decietful in the corporate world. Its a dog eat dog type of world Most people are afraid. Most people are unable to trust or change. If you outshine them they will bury you. There are no such things as friendship among sharks. Worse then that, those same people play musical chairs. They will leave one company go to another, bring all their friends and systematically proceed to do destroy the new company as the old one. Its not completely their fault at least on a conscious level, they do only what they know, what they have always done. No one ever shaowed them anything else, like what good managment is all about. They have never built a company from the ground up and have no idea what it takes to succeed. The worst thing is that everywhere else its the same. The same people wit the same managment style. Its a sick and vicious circle that never ends. Its a rat race to the top.

I've seen 2 large companies destroyed by bad managment, by people who had no morals except their own self preservation, and greed. During layoff periods or difficult times, many managers did everything they could to promote themselves, cover their backs, and give themselves as many raises or promotions as possible at the expense of the workers. Those who did not play the game were quickly removed. Their second goal was usually to get rid of those who stood in their way. But you can't really blame them. In most companies people are scared. Most people these days live a life of delusion and are heavily in debt and with children have many responsibilities. Many people couldn't survice 3 months without a job. They will do whatever they can to stay afloat, and hold on to their positions. Loyalty, and good intentions mean little these days. People like you who genuinly want to help and get a company out of the gutter are few and far between. In most cases during times as the ones we are facing now, they are seen as obstacles to those who are comfortable with the way things are. People like you make waves whether you realize it or not and end up paying the price.

Whats my point? This should tell you something...like that the corporate world might not be the place for you...or maybe that a change in carer is in order. YOu might be one of thse rare people that ended up working for the man instead of having people working for him.

You most likely have a good heart and good intentions, and believe in the company you work for. Being naive is usually a sign of this since you believe in the greater good. People like that are usually the ones who know how a company should be run, and they might not even know it but they would make good managment themselves or good owners. Whats done is done....you can't change the past. The past is dead. Take this as a harsh lesson, and create a new gameplan.

I wouldn't say that you have no future.....you have a new beginning. I know this sounds not like what you might want to hear but apparently you weren't happy at your previous company and wanted to leave but couldn't, or wouldn't. You wanted to be at a place that worked according to your ideals and vision and you gave it all youy could. At least deep down you were not happy, and the rule of life is that your innermost thoughts will eventually translate into physical actions and opportunities. If you couldn't get yourself to act forces around you positioned themselves in a way that an exit opportunity set itself up. So since you were not happy and it was obviously not the place for you and a healthy future, things happened to change that, you got laid off, this is now your opportunity to go somewhere where you would like to be.

YOu now have an opportunity to look for a place you really want ot be at.

Either that or try something that you always wanted but either couldn't do or were afraid to do.

Keep this in mind time is your enemy now. Do not panic and do not get depressed. I was depressed for months and it cost me everything. Do not make the same mistake.

Apparently you are smart enough to get some clients on your own and bring business to your company. Have you thought about doing that for yourself? have you thought about becoming self employed or doing consulting work? Go somewhere, take a notebook with you and write down the things you always wanted to do. Write down your skillset, and your experience. Think of a way how you could put 2 and 2 together and make some money out of what you got and who you are. Who do you know who could help you with your vision? What can you do in the meantime to stay afloat? DO you know anyone who could use your skills? Forget about your old career, or your old job. Look for a new opportunity. If you can't find one then create one. I know it sounds easier said then done, but it is possible. So you might have to work nights at a grocery store, so what? as long as you are keeping the family afloat and working on your vision/dream its ok. But don't, under any circumstance don't go back to the same type of position in the same type of company that you were at doing the same type of work. It will only kill you,waste time, and a year later you will find yourself back unemployed. If you must go back because of money, set a plan to get out 6 months later.

You need to find a place where you are truly happy, and this is a chance to do that. The place where you were was probably killing you and you haven't even realized it yet.

I know a guy who was miserable as a senior director, and one day he just walked in threw his badge on the table and told everyone to got to hell. He now works at walmart greeting people and is the happiest person alive.

You got kids, a family, and responsibilities. So do we all. Its not the end of the world. Life is going to pull a rug from under you many times, no matter how old you are. You might as well get used to it. There is no such thing as security, stability, or comfort in life. That is just illusion. NO matter what happenes you are still going to be here 2 years from now, so don't say you got no future. Al lthat happened was that you got your eyes openned, and someone gave you a wake-up call. Get up, look around and figure out where you want to go now.

But make sure you go somewhere....do something..there is no such thing as standing still....you are either going backwards or forward.

incase you get depressed.....

1. go get yourself a bunch of self help books, especially books about business/life success. (the bryan tracy, napoleon hill, that type of stuff). Reead them it will bring up your spirits.

2. Do soemthing to learn a new skill whenever you have time. Don't watch TV dont play games, don't waste time. Reinvent yourself.

3. Don't drink.

4. spend 1 hour per day alone without interruption thinking about you, your plans, and where you want to go in life from now on.

5. IF you look for work forget the paper and the internet....try to get someone to hook you up.

6. Burn your old bridges. If you burn your bridges you will be more motivated to succeed because there will be no turning back. Don't believe in the be nice to your co-workers or superiors crap, and about leaving on good terms. Its bs. They don't care about you at all.

7. Always say yes to an opportunity, no matter how small. You can't get anywhere by saying no.

8. Make sure you get up really early every day. Don't sleep in if you get bummed, or start to panic.

9. Go to the gym on your spare time whenever possible.

Thanks madcat619. Your advice is really on, really cool. You're right, move on. I realized that over the past four years, the constant stress of kissing rear ends, wondering if someone was friend of foe, trying to fix or make better a company that was permanently broken, it all built up inside of me. It caused me physical harm. In all that time, I think I forgot what I really wanted to do. It just never entered my mind. I do need to think about it, what it is I want to do and how to get there, but where to begin? There is a financial responsibility, a familial responsibility that needs to be balanced with my own internal desires. It's a hard thing to do in this environment.

I guess my goal is to find an interim position. May not be the best or ideal, but something that will help me pay the bills. I'm interested in working in an area that stresses creativity, something artistic, worthwhile. I grew up loving music, art, movies, but always felt these were just idle hobbies and nothing substantive, so I went my way toward the corporate realm, spent 10+ years doing the grind. Is there anything in these fields? Although I do have some connections, I have this tremendous feeling of shame and embarrassment about going to former clients and potential clients to now ask for a job. It feels so humiliating. But is this the right think to do? I guess I have no choice but to find out.

If you have any other advice, let me know.

Thanks.

That's an interesting story - and I'm going to print his reply to you and put it on my refrigerator as a reminder to myself.

After 10.5 years with the same company - founded and headed two departments - was very successful. Then, after overhauling the company (IT and infrastructure) - expanding their capacity - automating their procedures, and providing them the horsepower to kick their sales up from $18m to $25m (in five years) - the (new) owner decided to outsource everything - and I'm out of a job.

Like you, I was done in by someone I helped to get promoted. He was a nice guy when I made the recommendation - but when he got the power, he turned into a little Nazi and started goose-stepping everywhere - stabbing people in the back, plotting, etc! As the person largely responsible for the turnaround of the company - I ignored him - thinking that no one could possibly take him seriously - I mean, you can see right through this guy's act - but, I was wrong. The few other smart people saw what was coming and split (and told me to go too) - like you, I had been there too long - and felt 'attached' to the company (yeeeech!)...

Its ok, though - like what's been said before - I view this more as an opportunity to change my life than to look back that the group I left (and I disagree about burning bridges - don't burn ANY bridges - ever!). For one thing, I sleep much better now - my girlfriend says that I'm nicer - more calm - and I can actually *think* about what it is I wish to do.

What's interesting is that I want to leave IT all together - and go into a new career - one that I'll have to go back for a (second) master's degree. But - the long-term (and I mean LONG TERM - like 7+ years from now) I'll be in good shape - doing something I really like.

The other fellow was correct when he said that time is your enemy now - but ONLY in the respect that you allow it to hold you back. If you don't care about being 'older' and reaching your goal - then who cares! As for me - I would rather have my own small company when I'm 50 (I'm 42 now) than be working for someone else again who can screw with my life like this....

Forget about the losers you left behind - they're not worth another second of worry. Take the advice, though - and get in gear - and don't waste a second.

Good luck!

//sse

Anyway I have no idea what your background is (what you did) or where you are located but in general unless you are in some tiny little town in the middle of nowhere it dosen't really make a difference.

Over the years I learned that finding the right career is a process of evolution and like finding the perfect mate you got to kiss alot of frogs before you find your princess. You just have to remember not to get stuck somewhere for too long and get comfortable.

I went from tech support to IT (engineering) to IS(network administration) to being a stock broker/Investment Advisor then a teacher then a manufacturing Engineer/supervisor then Manager then to a video game designer...then finally to now which is Real Estate Agent. In between I was a Dj, a graphic designer, and I started 3 companies and watched 2 of them go bankrupt. The key is not to be scared. I had to start over quite a few times while my friends are all staying in their respective fields, slowly going up in a material sense, but I can tell you without any ego that I am the happiest out of any of them. I might not have as many toys or as an expensive car as some of them but I also can say that I tried different things, and grew much as a person.

Most of the people I know hate their jobs, but they are either too scared to leave and follow their heart becasue they doubt their own abilities, or they are too buried in debt to leave. (fear again of not being able to keep their standard of living up). Most of them don't believe in themselves enough to see that they could do something besides what they are doing now. Most of them admire my ability to just drop a career that I don't like and jump into something new.

My best friend for example used to make bread for $7 per hour...then I and someone else got him into IT as a tech, and for the last 5 years he worked his way up to Network Administration. He makes like 65k+ and he hates the job. Its stressful, but he feels that it is all he can do. He feels that if it wasn't for IT he would be stil making bread. I disagree because he is very intelligent and resourceful but he dosen't see it that way. He makes enough money to afford a nice BMW, and a nice appartment, and feels that that is the price he must pay for his standard of living that he enjoys. His dream is to own his own little store in the mall which sells Japanese animation DVDs and Comics but he is too afraid to take any steps toward realizing that dream. He questions his ability to do something different...and feels he cannot start again at ground zero because he has so many bills. I wonder what he will do when he has kids of his own. So instead of following his heart, he spends all his money on crap that he thinks will make him happy and lets him escape reality. All he is doing is putting himself further into debt, getting to a point where he will never be able to leave the industry that he hates. Eventually he will get laid off and who knows what he will do then. His dream is that....just a dream. Many people live lives like these.

But there are people out there that follow their hearts, because that is where true happiness and fulfilment lies.

All I know is that with every try I get closer to what I really want, while my friends either drink or put themselves farther into debt buying toys that they think will make them happier to make them forget how miserable they really are in the corporate world. Every failure I experienced has taught me something, about myself and about the people around me. If you try a few different things, and fail it will prepare you for the next thing....after a while, after a few experiences, it becomes a question of when will I succeed instead of If.

Many people always say to live life to the fullest so they go on vacations, get new boyfriends/girlfriends, try to see the world, buy toys, USe their visa to get a lifestyle they can't afford yet they never take that philosophy to their jobs. They never try different jobs like they try clothing at the store. Why not? Its your life right?

The first thing you have to realize is that if you really want to find your heart's desire you will have to sacrifice something, most likey it will be your standard of living for a bit. Your family will understand as long as you provide them with the necessities. There can be no victory without sacrifice.

I've read alot of books about successful people. Many people who succeeded in life went through hell before they made it. Some went bankrupt many times, others failed at business 3 to 5 times (3 times on average), some had to live in their cars for a year, others on the street, and some worked like slaves until they were in their 40s or 50s. Some put their house behind their dreams, some everything they had. They took risks. The rule is that there is always a price to be paid for success and it must be and in advance.

The first time I started my own corporation and for the 8 months that it lasted I learned more during that period of time about accounting, sales, laws, my own abilities, money, business, and the world in general then I did in 4 years working for the man. It was a great adventure. I remember I would leave my regular job at 5 and then go to my new office and teach class until 10pm, then do the paperwork and everything else until like 2 am. It was hell, but it was fun. I still remember coming home to my girl at like 3am so tired that I would just fall asleep next ot her in my clothes. 7 days per week for 8 months straight.

Most people don't make it in life becasue they are either afraid of risk or they put in the minimum and want something for nothing. They are not willing to pay the price in advance.

Having a family and kids to suppoort make changing careers or working for yourself infinitely much more difficult but not impossible. I know people in their late 40s who have families and they are still working on their own dreams every evening little by little. They plug away one baby step at a time. As long as you take care of your health its never to late to start again. You just have to have faith in yourself, and keep going no matter how many times you fail at it. Getting a flat tire does not mean its the end of the journey.

check this out....

I've been in IT for over 8 years in various areas (Engineering,Hardware design, software design, Manufacturing, Tech support, Network Administration) and in various positions ranging from lowly tech to managment. It all sucked. The problem with those type of jobs is that they provide no tangible sense of accomplishment. That is why I hated all of them. That is the reason why I am listing them. If you did any work that was behind the scenes (like q/a, or some sort of desk job) then you probably never had a real sense of accomplishment. Consider what it really means to love your work. If you are not suited for a job its murder. If you are a creative person doing a job that is rutine or dosen't require your brain to work on a creative level its hell going to work every day. If you are doing a job that is behind the scenes and dosn't give you a sense of accomplishment it is an injustice to you. There are many jobs like this in many various career fields. Like I said I don't know what you have been doing, but if you were doing anything behind the scenes then your job didn't really fulfill you on a true level. Let me explain further...The last career change I made was to get into Video Game Design. It was something I always wanted to try since I was a little kid, and eventually through sheer perserverence and a lucky hookup I landed a job as a game designer. All I can tell you is that there is nothing better then walking into a store picking up a box off the shelf and being able to say "I made this". that is real accomplishment. There is nothing better then seeing someone review your game on the internet whether its a good or bad review it dosen't matter...what matters is that your work made an impact on someone. Its tangible, and your name is in the credits. That is one essense of creativity and fulfilment in work.

If you are looking for a creative output and can't necessarily start a production company or go 100% into something creative because anything creative takes time to make money at, look at something that produces a tangible result. Take a job in which you create something, sell something or do something to a product where you can physically see the accomplishment of your work. I learned that having a sense of accomplishment is one of the best feelings out there. If you sell something you make someone happy, and yourself happy. That is accomplishment. If you create something its on the shelf. If you help someone you feel better. Look for something like that. It will give you a sense of fulfilment. Just don't get yourself stuck in a job where you are nothing but a cog in the big machine. Don't do something where you control a bullshit process, or where you do a small sub part that goes into a bigger part which goes into a bigger part and no one ever sees or knows/cares about what you did. Don't do a Q/A job where you just test someting. Dont't do a job where you just work on internal company stuff. Those type of jobs will kill you like cancer.

I dunno if you are a sales type of guy or whether that is something for you but that is always an interesting field to be in. Dealing with people is the best experience you can have. I personally am a very creative person and I love dealing with people. Working with things like computers is torture for me. But some people like my best friend can't sell..they just can't deal with people. Over the years I figured out that sales is probably the best type of job you can have. If you must have a job, and work for someone else, then in my opinion sales is the career to be in. Its the only area that will never be outsourced. Its the only area that gets most of the perks. Its the only career where you can make the most money for the time invested. Its also the one area that is 100% transfereable. It dosen't matter if you sold cars, or houses, or telephone service, or computer euqipment, or recruited/sold people, sold stocks, or sold door to door. If you quit one sales job you can instantly go into another. If you can sell one thing you can sell another.

if you look at any successful business people they have all been successful in sales, and successful in selling themselves and their ideas to others. That is the key to success...to bring other people together into your vision and use their talents in a single master mind type of way.

But as far as creative fields go.....I think you can make good money in any creative areas and they are not just hobbies or BS fields. I remember a long time ago when I was naive and very young I had an engineering manager tell me "never go into that art crap" He would make fun of a friend of mine who had a Graphic Arts degree. He called it a worthless degree in a worthless field, which to him was not considered real like engineering. Its funny my friend now makes over 140k a year, drives a top of the line Mercedes, designing interfaces for some of the world's biggest software makers. On his spare time he makes those Dinosaur computer animation effects for the Discovery channel.

Basically there is money in every creative field. Artists, performers, and entertainers make the most money outside of Business owners/investors.

It depends on what you want to pursue. No matter what you do you should start it as a hobby, practice, practice, until you get good and figure out how to make money out of it. The rule is this. Do what you love and the money will come. Do not think about the money first. Just do what you always wanted to do in a creative manner or field. In the meantime support yourself in an interim position to make money, but whenever you can, plug away at that creative endeavour, until it gets to a point where you can jumnp ship and do it full time.

I have no idea what you want to do or what you have a talent for.

No matter what creative field or job you choose to do...If you have it in you I would reccomend working for yourself or starting your own small business on the side. Some people aren't cut out to be enterpeneurs, but if you are one of those people that can do it, then that is the only way to financial freedom, and true independence. Its not the rat race that 99% of the people are in. The rat race will never make you happy. Its not working for someone else. Its working for yourself. Why would you want to put someone else's kids through college by working for someone when you can work for yourself and put your own kids through good school? at least that is my theory.

I can't really give you advice on what creative field you should consider. That is entirely up to you. I know things related to computers including animation and CG/3D graphics, Web Design and things like that. I also know traditional art, and I know that you can make money here in many areas but its mostly freelance, and the competition like in any field is fierce. I used to make Rap music album covers, used to DJ, and make Dance CLub stickers and passes...stuff like that when I was young...I loved it. I guess what I am trying to say is that it dosen't matter..there is money to be made in any fiend which you truly love, or have a knack for, because if you truly love something you do exceptional work and people will see it. You clients will know.

You said you felt embarrassed to go to your previous clients and ask them for a job. You need to stop thinking like this. That is the wrong mentality to have. If they were happy with what you did in the past they will be happy with what you can do in the future. IF you made a good impression there is nothing to be ashamed of. You are now selling yourself and your skills. Figure out what you can do for them ahead of time, call each of them up and ask them if they are interested in working with you. Don't ask them to give you a job. Ask them if there is anything you can do for them. Tell them you are working for yourelf now and want to work with them. Ask them if they would consider some sort of contract with you or something. Become flexible. If they say no then ask them what you need to do in order to work for them/with them, and when they tell you go do it. Then call them again and ask again. Keep calling them until they say yes. Its sales,....10% rule will apply...for every 100 calls you make 10% will be interested and out of those 10% or 1 will say yes. The same rule coincidentally applies to dating women and getting sex. Trust me this works. Its jsut a numbers game driven by persistance. If you can't do that then call each of them up and ask them for a job, and make sure you ask for more then you made before. Its not about being greedy its about starting off feeling good about yourself. Right now you are down and you need a boost in confidence.

If you are looking for creativity don't just look at creative fields such as art or music or design. Working for yourself is very creative. If you can please consider that. You must wear many hats, every day is a new challenge and a new problem that you must overcome. Overcoming the daily things that pop up takes creativity and it might be enough of what you are looking for. Providing a better service, a better product, a cheaper product, or a better marketing plan takes creativity. It really does not matter what you do as long as you run the show according to your values and according to your vision. Just make sure you do it with integrity and ethics.

If you want to do some thinking get a book called "As a man Thinketh" by James Allan its the size of a few credit cards and about 50 pages and it costs $5. Its like a condensed verion of most self help books...talks about how a man thinks...its good for reflecting on life. basically it tells you that you are the result of every thought you have and the key to success is to control your thoughts so they produce positive results. Its worth the $5.

I've realized that succes in general, success in business, especially in your own business, success in life, and material success is a journey of developing yourself. Its about becoming a better man, not about climbing to the top of some corporation/ Its about fixing all your shortcomings and bad habbits one by one. The more bad habbits you got the harder you need to work and the longer it takes to succeed. The more you fix the better your life gets. The more good habits you develop the faster you go up. The problem these days is all the distractions that are around us.

Some things one might need to develop is:

1. Unwavering courage/self confidence

2. Self-control-- The man who cannot control himself can never control others.

3. A keen sense of justice

4. Definitiveness of Decision -you cant waver in your decisions

5.habit of doing more then paid for

6. developing a pleasing personality

7.listening to others/ being sympathetic and understanding

8.mastery of detail -its the little things that make all the difference. The difference between a good product or a bad product is all in the details.

9.willingness to assume full responsibility no matter what.

10. cooperation with others.

and more...

Do this.....

Come up with a clear and definitive purpuse in your life...write it down. Write it down in the present tense. ex.."I do this and this, I own this and this, and I make this much and this much. Then break it up into smaller goals. Once you do this things will start to flow. Write down exactly the amount of money that you want to accumulate, the time limit for its accumulation, and a description of the service or merchendise you intend to give in return for the money. Example. By the first day of Jan 200X I will have in my possesion 1 million$ which will come to me in various ammounts, from time to time in the interim. In return for this money I will give the most efficient service in the capacity of_____ or I will provide the following product____list product. I believe that i will have all this in my possession and my faith is so strong that I can see it smell it touch it and taste it.

THis might sound cheesy but you need to visualize exactly what you want, as if you already have it right now. Every day! You need to read that definitive purpose to yourself at least 2 or 3 tiems per day. It will keep you going and your brain focused on your goals. All the psychology & self help and business books say the same thing...if you visualize something, believe in it, repeat it to yourself, and act on those beliefs, and write it all down you will eventually get it.

Hey in my post I mentioned that you should not worry about burning your bridges...the reason I said it was becasue people in general tend to get comfortable...and comfort tends to kill your dreams...you get sidetracked, lazy and after a while loose your focus...its even worse when you get laid off or when life pulls the rug from under you.

Every person who wins in any undertaking must be willing to burn his ships, burn his bridges, and cut off all sources of retreat. Only by so doing can one be sure of maintaining that state of mind known as a burning desire to win, which is essential to success.

Most people who made it in life hit bottom and put everyhting they had on the line. Their only soultion was success. Failure was not an option. These days people tell you to be safe and never burn your bridges. That is told by people who are afraid of risk, and risk is essential to success. If you risk nothing you will have nothing.

I hope some of this helps....and that i don't sound too much like some self help novel....

if i sound stupid let me know, I don't take critisizm personally ever....its like 4am now and I am barely awake so I know that probably half the things I wrote were either common sense or just plain dumb.

check out the following link...business week online. Check out this article. Its about IT, Web and jobs being outsourced and an outlook for 2004. At the least its an interesting read.

link removed

take care