17 with a baby and abusive father

hey my name is amy and i have a friend that i go to school with that her father beats her up a lot and she has a 8 month old baby............2day she came into school with a huge bruse on her head and she told me that he father got mad cause she was talkin on the phone to a boy and punched her..................he is also starting to handle Caleb (the baby) really crappy to like he other day caleb was tryin to pull himself up on the table like tryig to stand and he took calebs arm and pulled it down o he would just sit on the floorand caleb started to cry and sammy (my friend) went togo pick him up and he told he not to touch him (and it is sammys baby)..............does anyone know if this is abuse.......is there anyone i can call for her i talked to her about goin to a home with kids with kids and abusive parents and she said she don't want Caleb in someting like that..... and does he hae the right to do tha to her baby?

thanks

I am not sure if under legal terms that is abuse, but think it is. In my country there are associations that fight to put an end to this kind of stuff, but where you live there might not be any. In that's case, go to the local police, they will know what to do. They can give you some information on what to do, or even investigate about the case. If you do this, make sure, you don't warn the father until you're sure he can't hurt this girl again, for example, arresting him for child abuse during 6 months would only make things worse.

Meanwhile, aren't there any places where she can run to? Her mother's house? Grandparents? Even friends? That situation is not ok for either the girl and the baby. This father might need some help too, but I can't tell how...

Yes, this would be considered abuse. If he hit her, thats not acceptable. Also it sounds like the baby is in trouble also. He is handling the baby too roughly.

She (or you) can call a battered womens shelter for some ideas. Or if she's underage she might be able to contact social services for assistance. They may be able to help her under this situation.

This isn't something I would let just go. I doubt her father will change his tune if nothing is done.

Yes that is abuse. To punch you own child is just cowardly. There are ways to punish your children to teach them to be good, but to ball your fist up and hit them. Especially for a grown man to hit a 17 year old girl. That is pathetic. As you can tell I don't like abusers, and the worst part is the person being abused nearly has to be dead before the law does anything about it. That is how it is here where I live anyway. I would contact your local police and talk to them about it and the laws of child abuse. You might also talk to a teacher, principal or counselor at your school about it. But be careful because like avman said you could make it worse for her unless he is completely out of her life to where he can't hurt her and her baby anymore. I hope I helped and keep us updated.

I work at a non-profit that works with abuse and neglect cases. There is abuse in the house and you need to get her and her baby out ASAP! YWCA has a 24 hour crisis hotline they definitely help you here's the number 1-800-716-7233 please call that number or have your friend call, also here is a number for Our House Inc./ Safe Place for Teens- it's a shelter. here's the number 1-888-422-8336 I hope these help your friend and her little baby. Bottomline the father needs to get help if he is hitting her, if she loves her father she should move out of the house so he can get help and not abuse her anymore.