Leg shaking? someone help!!!!!!!!

I am constant leg shaker. I sit at my desk and my leg just bobs up and down REALLY fast. I can't help it. If i sit still I'll go md, and if i try to stop my leg, i find my thumb starts tapping. any ides what causes this? My friend jokes on my and says that her mom told her thats its from 'sexual frustrations' lol any ideas? someone help please.

I bounce my legs quite often.. never realize.. i don't think it's a problem though.. could be just nerves or something.. are you anxious a lot? nervous? something stuck in the back of your mind you can't shake? possibly constant paranoia? fear of something? could be a lot of things.. but i doubt it's anything medical or serious for that matter...

Well I've had this happen from time to time to me. If I get stressed or nervous thats what usually makes it start. Or too much caffeine, that does it for sure.

Its probably nothing serious. But if its REALLY bad for you, or other parts of your body start to shake then go see your doctor to rule out a medical problem.

My leg will do that shaking uncontrollably thing too, at times.....I think it's just a sign of the muscle being tired from being tensed a large part of the day. It's not painful, merely annoying. I wouldn't worry about it too much, unless it does become painful or if it starts to happen constantly!

Mar

See the thing is, it is constant! It never stops, my dad complains cuz he hangs downstairs and he hears me doing it all the time, the people who sit around me in school start to fuss at me cuz i cant stop it and i dont realize im doing it. There is like no aparent reason for doing it and even when i stand i plant my toe to the grond and wiggle my ankle. help!!!

its no big deal...sounds normal to me. i do it when im bored or have more energy than im "allowed" to use. i just think you have energy that wants to be used and your legs wanna move to use some of that energy up. and if you stop your legs your fingers will move because it drives your body crazy when you just cant use the energy you have. personally...i think its a good sign that your body's working normally and you are in good health. its annoying but its necessary

if its constantly annoying you, maybe you should try to use some of that energy up on a regular basis...running, basketball..something that uses alot of aerobics and muscles. then relax in a hot bath or something afterward. also, it could just be your age...if you're like 12-18 yrs old then your body's a little out of balance chemically. how long has it been going on?

Hmmm, well if it is doing it even while you are standing I would definitely see a doctor. I don't want to scare you, but there are some diseases of the nervous system that will cause this to happen. I'm still thinking it isn't serious - but I encourage you to have it checked out.

avman

it started when i was about 10 and im 16. These past 2-3 years have been really bad with it. It never stops. somtimes i get both legs going like right now. It cant be energy cuz i have that balanced right. i'm nevre tired until i get to bed but im not overly energetic. i skate a lot which takes a lot of energy but even after that i am still going non stop. even when i go to bed my leg goes back and forth, back and forth. oy.

There's a condition called "RLS", or Restless Leg Syndrome....my fiance has it badly, where his legs twitch nonstop when he lays down, and causes him no end of aggravation! I'm not sure if this is related, but it might be something worth looking into nonetheless. (I don't know if it only happens when you try to sleep or also when awake.) But regardless, see a doctor about it if it's that bad!

Mar

• 3 years later...

hey im a student and i am doing a project on leg shaking.. as leg shakers, would you like to replace this habit with a better habit or would it be easier just to give it up completely? do you even want to give it up? and if you had something to remind you when you were doing it, who you prefer that reminder to be a viration or something that gets tighter around your arm and you have to play with a stree ball to release the tension around your arm? PLEASE reply to my questions.. all answers will be greatly appriciated!!! thanks!

• 3 years later...

The first thing you should do, is look to see if you are placing your foot firmly down on the floor when you notice your leg shaking. Are you sitting with the tips of your toes touching the ground, but your heel up? If you are, usually keeping your foot firmly on the floor will prevent it from shaking.

If doing that doesn't stop the shaking, even when you are relaxed, and that happens regularly, I agree with Avman. Sure, most likely it something innocent. Lots of people's legs shake because their muscles are tight and stressed, and they set off a reflexive action that causes their legs to twitch.

However, if it's totally involuntary and not related to how you are positioning your feet when sitting, and doesn't improve with regular stretching and sitting properly (proper posture in a good chair and feet on floor), then it could be a symptom that you want to be paying attention to.

I immediately thought of clonus, because that is something I am familiar with and know it is not something a person can control. It's one possibility, out of lots, but it usually happens with people who either have a serious illness or who have sustained a serious injury at some point. So just knowing that, I think you should pay attention and try the little test I suggested. And if you really can't control it, have a doc at least test your reflexes.

Archived