Gyno exam test all types of STDs???

Quick question, I just wanted to know when you go to the gyno, do they test you for all types of Sexual Transmitted Diseases? or do you have to request them? Also, I hear that you have to have a blood test to get tested for some STDs especially HIV, if so, can you request a blood test when u go visit a gyno or do u have to go to a regular PCP?

I had this conversation with someone and I was surprised that the person said if u go to a gyno and dont request them to do all stds test on you, they are not going to do it.... so I am just confused...

Please take the time to post if you can answer!

Thanks

Yeah, a regular gyn exam is very basic and just checks for obvious physical abnormalities, and the swab is for cellular abnormalities/signs of cervical changes that can portend growths or cancer, not STDs. If you want to be screened for STDs, ask them specifically to be tested for that, I'm sure they'd be happy to oblige. They should be able to test for anything there, though some of the bloodwork may have to go out to a lab, but that would be the same with any doctor's office, since they usually only have the facilities for basic labwork, like blood cell counts, on site.

If you are having problems they will run tests for Chlamydia and Gonorrhea, but they will tell you if they do. If you want to be checked out you have to tell them.

I know when I was in college you could go to the student health center and get tested if you wanted. I don't know how much it cost, but it was a lot cheaper then the doctor. That was a large university, but if money or privacy is an issue you could go to a clinic.