why do people get drunk??

I drank a lot of alcohol around the years when I was 14-17. Now I'm 19 and I only drink once or twice every other six/seven months. I hate the feeling of regret when, or if, you get hungover. That is the worst part IMHO.

It is a way to socialize first and foremost. Atleast for me, that is. I am a pretty shy guy so when I get tipsy, I get a little better at talking to people.

I did a paper for school one time on bars where most people get drunk. Bars have beeen around since the 1600's. It was a place to gather and chat and to socialize and have some fun. I have found that some people who drink in excess drink to mask a under lying problem. Some of the what I refer to as the hardcore drinkers have totally lost control and the booze takes control of their lives. When it gets to that level, they no longer are able to drink just to be social. They are drinking to get drunk. They build up a tolorence and everyday they have to get a certian amount in their system to make them feel normal. Which of course is not normal at all. Alcohol can be alot of fun, or it can make things very complicated.

Kuhl

Why do people get drunk? Well the answers could be endless. Most people just like to let their hair down on a saturday night after a week of work and alcohol can enhance positive feelings. Other people might drink out of boredom, loneliness, as a confidence booster, emotional problems etc etc... Most like to escape reality once in a while, some people more then others.

Teens might drink out of peer pressure, looking grown up or "cool". I used to drink heavily, like 12-15 standard drinks a day because of the reasons I've mentioned in the first paragraph. But I've cut back alot nowdays and only drink when in the company of others on the weekend, well I try too anyway....

To me gettin drunk means letting lose nad having a good time. Im not shy wen it comes to being around my friends, but wen i am around guys i dont kno or guys i like, im very shy and tend to stick close to myy friends. When Ive had a few drinks , i am able to approach them and talk to them and just have a good time. I am more apt to talk to someone than if i wasnt drunk.

On the same type of subject, does ne one think being drunnk is seen as a weakness of girls, to guys? And do guys like when there are drunk girls around him, because he knows he can do sumthin with her? Would he take advantage and do sumthin with here?

hey.

i guess its different for everyone but in some cases it does give confidence or the ability to be the person you are but have always hidden, if you understand what i mean. but to me that doesnt mean getting drunk just enough to be who you want to be. getting drunk is the personal option of how you decide to go about one night.

some people drink for comfort, others for a laugh, confidence, anything i guess.

take your pick i guess too hard to put it down to one aspect.

however i do wonder why people deicide to get 'drunk' when on an all time low as this is depthened in the process. hhm? anyone provide the answer? because im guessing at the time we see it as comfort and then a depressent through realisation.

anyway ive gone of the subject.

so thats my two cents.

kel

Many reasons, but I think mainly just to get away from their problems.

At least.. when I use to get drunk in my early-mid 20's... that is why I did it, to escape. I'm defining drunk by "losing control of your faculties".

I still get a "buzz" every once and a while (2-3 drinks or so) but that is simply to relax if it has been a tough day at work.

I think sometimes people get drunk by mistake. I can remember when I first started drinking that I would get drunk without intending to do so. It takes time to understand your tolerance.

Well I drink because its just fun. I come from Europe and over there we drink for almost every occasion that we get. I guess you could call us drunks but its just our way of celebrating. Drinking makes you more relax and it also relives the everyday stress of life from your mind.

drinking doesnt relax me. it gives me energy that i never usually feel. i never go out and get drunk with out planning it. why do i do it?

i guess its different for everyone but in some cases it does give confidence or the ability to be the person you are but have always hidden

thats why. when i get drunk, i let go of all my insecurities and worries, and just love who i am even more then i do now. more then 75% of girls i attract are when im drunk. apperntly i just get very attractive. the confidence and security in yourself just come booming out really. i dont plan to get drunk for any other reason, certainly not relaxing, or if im depressed- music does those bits for me! (im not criticising anyone who gets drinks for those reasons either )

i use to drink a lot but given it up

max i have is one beer

and thats pushing it

alchol well it disorients u and stop sur brain from functioning properly and that s not good

i still party once in say a month but otherwise i enjoy other things then drinking 0X