Lat pulldowns, not feeling my lats in the workout

Lat pulldowns are supposed to are supposed to work your lats(muscles on the side of your back) but when I'm doing lat pulldowns I don't feel the strain on my lats? Anyone else have this problem with lat pulldowns? Am I doing something wrong? I was told how to do them with the right technique by the gym instructor but I don't feel my lats getting punished! agghh!

good point.. i don't think i ever felt my lats getting worked out either... i always felt it in my triceps however... But i assure you, you are working your lats... trust me.. started working out a year ago, lats STILL feel like they do nothing, but my back is chiseled like a statue... just keep up with it, enjoy the results later

I noticed a good tug motion while chilling on side of a pool raising both legs side to side. Probably tack on some waterproof weights and use that.

lay back against the side of pool and stretch your arms out on surface. Raise both legs together at same time. mess around a little bit and find out best way.

Ask your trainer if you're worried, but I'd say it's normal. From what you said, he's got you on a workout aiming for balanced muscle development and getting familiar with all the exercises. Some are always going to start (and some even stay) "easier" than others, depending on your build, the tone you started with in different areas, and your body's natural tendencies. As long as you're getting a good overall workout, you should get everything developing together at a nice even pace and notice a difference - keep it up!

What you do for lats are the lat machine which is perfect for it. But you need to learn the feel. Whenever you excercise your back, have the motion and when you pull your elbows back in rows, low rows or some pull. Make believe there is an apple in the middle of your back you're trying to pinch so it won't fall. This motion will give you the feel for your back. As for your lats, I warm up doing the lat machine but in reverse. I sit on it with my back towards the plates. Then I place my hands one ft. apart on the t bar and I pull it down like a pull up. I keep my back straight and I make sure I get a good extension when the bar goes up. Bring the bar to the middle part of your chest and you're in business. Do those for WARMUPS. Then move on to normal lat machine form. Turn around after you last set, and do the regular motion. Make sure you lean back a little, not too far but about a 95-105 degree angle and bring the bar to your front of your body, not the back. Again squeeze the muscles like there is an apple in the middle of your back.. make sure you're not using too much weight...

TRAINERS = MONEY

Use forums and ask around.