i have some questions for anybody who knows anything about breast cancer...

My first question is what is it caused by, if anything? like i know that you are at higher risk if your mom, or grandma, or aunt has had it, but i know you can still get it even if no one else related to you has gotten it. My next question is whats the best ways to prevent it? Like are there special things you can do early in life to prevent it?

Hello

There are many factors. Familial being the greatest. Increase in estrogen, by beginning your menstrual cycle early 55 yr and/or exogenous estrogen(taking estrogen replacement) these wil put you at a higher risk. Never having a child, or having a child after 30 yrs of age increases your risk. Other nonconclusive factors are diet high in fat and red meat, smoking, and alcohol, these are the only areas that you can influence through lifestyle and personal self care. However, some are controversal and not all universal. Of course radiation may enhance the risk. Preventative care is the best by receiving mammograms every year after 40 or sooner if at greater risk by having a first degree relative for instance. By the age of 18 every woman should perform self breast exams, this requires special technique and timing is a factor, should be done 4 days after you begin your menstrual cycle, as the breast are less congested. I can tell you more in depth if you like just let me know. Also a breast exam should be performed by a practitioner along with yearly papsmeres. Hope this is useful for you, just remember the early detection= higher recovery and survival rates!