Issues on the workplace

Hello again everyone,

Now this will probably seem pretty trivial too most of you, but it has been bugging me for sometime now.

Now the problem is that at work some of the senior female staff have gone apt to call me names such as "doll" "honey" "love" and my most loathed "sweetheart". They also have no quelms about calling me these names infront of, younger, female staff that are still in school and they don't call other staff members these names!.

Do you know how frustrating, annoying and embarresing it is too be called this in front of younger girls!? I hate it. Now you see I believe this isn't really appropiate behaviour and I feel like they're disrespecting me by calling me these "cuddly" type names. Perhaps I'm overly friendly and I'm just a short(5'8") skinny guy after all, but I'm still 18 and male! Not 8 and female!

Anybody been in a situation like this at work and any ideas on how to stop these cuddly name calls? What the hell are they thinking when they call me these names!? Do they actually think I enjoyed being called such girlish names!? Thanks in advance folks.

Ok this can be annoying I guess, but im someone who goes around calling any guy or gal darling or sweetie.

But I guess what you can do, which may sound a bit harh is. Next time you get called honey, sweetie, just turn around and say. It (your name) thanks.

Try it.

Im not sure, depends on the situation, but I like it when women call me honey, sweetheart, or love. I dont mind being some girls doll, heck they can play with me anytime hehe. as long as they are gentle.

I think its because you are young, and probably "cute" looking so they give you those nicknames.

I had a good friend growing up, he was really skinny i used to call him bones, he didnt like it much, but it stuck, everyone called him bones, really T'ed him off, well years later he joined the Marines, in the marines, having a nick "Bones" meant something completely different and he was alright with it.

The point is, you can take this in a good way, and just flirt right back at them, or you can take it personal, its up to you.

Some lady come up to me and call me Honey, ill just tell her to lick me up, cause im sweet. get the picture?

Oh Gilgamesh the women in question are 40 years and older so they're definitely not flirting with me and I'm not going to flirt with old birds!

My point is I feel disrespected. For example on Saturday I was upstairs sitting with a bunch of people younger then me (like in the 16yr old range)and one of the older female staff(40+) comes up and says "Sweetheart, could you please do such and such for me? Thanks love" Then when they talked with one of the girls nearby who is only 16 she called her by her name, none of this "sweetheart" crap.

It just gets on my nerves is all but I don't want to make a big deal about it at work because then they'll probably think I'm like a sensitive little girl.

Do old ladies call you this when they think someone is mentally or physically weak? That's what it feels like sometimes....

Depending on where you work, you may have harassment rules. Essentially, anything that makes you uncomfortabe in the workplace is considered harassment. That being said, doing something about it can be tricky.

Can you talk to you manager about it? He/She might have some insights or be able to assist in some way. Any chance you can tell the women doing this that it makes you uncomfortable?

I was in a similar situation for a while when I was a student in university on my summer job. Since it was short term work for me, I never did address the issue. I got the sense it was more like they were treating me like a son rather than being condescending. Any chance it's that way with you?