Too much work, not enough time

At the moment I am in a very tough situation at work and I honestly do not know what to do. I have been working on a large organisational-wide project since April (I am into software development) that is due to be finished at the end of October. The thing is there are so many factors influencing the outcome of the project. I have so many distractions going on everyday (helping users with printer problems, word, excel, etc) and the building is very noisy because there are currently renovations underway. I do have consultants who I see on a weekly basis who advise me on what to do but because they do not work here some of the advice given has not been so great. My boss is also busy studying a masters so he is never around (sometimes for 4 weeks at a time) and because he is away so often he never gets a chance to evaluate my work daily so the work that I do is not what he had in mind or is not satisfactory for him so I usually have to delete what I have done and start over. Another thing is that I am very isolated in my work problems (there is no-one to help me with good solid advise from an experience point of view)

The end of September is coming soon and I am nowhere near finishing and with all these factors I do not see me meeting the deadline. At the end of the day I will be held responsible but how do I handle this?

If anyone has been in the same situation before, some help will be greatly appreciated...

0X

Hello Alien777,

I would find my boss and tell him as quickly as possible that you do not think you can meet the deadline. There is still time to get you some help and maybe finish things on time. If you just wait and then miss the deadline you will be in serious trouble.

Having been the boss I know I always appreciated my employees telling me if they were having trouble. The earlier they said something, the more options I had.

If you can't find your boss or he is unhelpful you could always speak to his boss.