Am I the only one?

Now, I need anyone's help here. I have to understand if I'm the only one in the world who is completely inhibited by parents.

Here's my problem (if it were only one!!).. anyway.. I'm almost 18 and still treated as a little baby. I can't talk to my parents about people of the opposite sex, not about boyfriends, not about anything else!! Is this normal? I mean, I can't go out in the evening with friends (even if they are only girls) and there are always problems if I ask to go out in the afternoon.

Just to give you an idea: in the last year or so, I went out with my friends only 6 times! 3 of which were related to school projects!

For them (in particular my mom) there's only school, school, school... and I agree that's important, but come on, I study every day and get mad just to keep my straight A level just to have something back from them.

They know I'm the last person who will ever go out and smoke, drink or do any other idiocy, but still... I'm stuck at home on my books!! I feel like I'm in a cage which is too tight for me...

They always tell me that it's not me they don't trust: it's everyone else...

The fact is that I'm tired of living on lies: lies on who I'm seeing when I go out, where I'm going (I mean, they don't even want me to go to the movies...), etc...

Can anyone understand me? Has anyone ever had the same problem, and if yes, how did they solve it?

The fact is that I'm scared at the thought of being one day left to live alone in a world in which I haven't built enough experience...

All I need to know is anyone's opinion on this problem, please!!!

I'm sorry of my brainstorming up there... but I had to tell someone everything.. I'm exploding in myself, and I can assure you it's not a nice feeling...

Thanx guys

Inkognito

I too am inhibited by my overlord parents, who try to rule all that I do. You are not alone, but we are a minority so to speak. most people {the lucky one GRRR...} are not so inhibited, just once I would like to go out with a girl and not have to fight for it {id settle for going out w\ a girl w\ a fight LoL} I have never been out on a date before, but it is given that I am a good bit younger than you most ppl my age have been out on a date before. however once you do turn 18 your life is up to you, my ONLY advice is I have seen a lot of kids like yourself who go nuts with the freedom of being able to do whatever they want it isnt pretty when you do get your freedom, dont go nuts with it! with your freedom you must exersize a new level of responsibility. other than that try to talk to them about it, but try to go in new ways with it don't use the same questions you would normaly use, they have the answeres worked out already.

wow... i would be close to despising my parents if they were like that (no offense). i really think you should tell them that living such a protected like isnt really living at all. a parents job isnt to keep us from ever experiencing any kind of pain, its to be there when we do. if you never experience pain or anything, you may not be the strong wise person you might have been...it really sounds like they are doing the best they can to keep you dependant...you should have a long honest talk about this stuff...

EmptySoul

• 1 month later...

I'm "over" 30 and to read what you are going through I can understand is tough. As a parent I can see where they are coming from. I can still remember when I was your age. To look back now, all I can say is I wish my parents were more strict like yours. I probably would not have gotten pregnant at 16, married an a--hole at 18, and be a single mom of four right now. I know this may not help much, but I know you will end up a lot happier than I am.

Well I was the same as you well almost, my mom was way too over protective, and I tryd rebeling alot of time , causing myself to get into alot of trouble with the law. I eventually figured it out when i was 17 just to stop and that I will be 18 soon. Thats how I solved that problem.