WHO WOULD GO THIS FAR

HA! I am in the same situation! I need a job but it doesnt look like IM going to be getting anything much closer than an hour away. I would suggest you try your hardest to find somewhere closer bc you will get very tired of driving such a ways for such minimal pay. All of your paycheck will be going to gas. If you cannot find somewhere closer or if you really have your heart set on this job, maybe find someone who works there as well that you can carpool with. It would make the drive more pleasurable and your gas bill is cut in half.

well you need to sit down and figure out the costs.

You have to "pay" yourself and see how it measures out...so lets say you have to add up travel time on the highway, gas and food.

how many hours would you be on the road?

3 hours a day. 3x $8= $24 a day you are not paid (assuming they dont pay travel)

how many miles on the car? about 170 a day..government rate is .34 per mile...which is about $57 a day you are not paid for!

car care costs? Just oil changes alone would need to be done on a monthly basis, again at your own expense. Not to mention adding miles, and regular work that increases as you use your car.

so anywhere around $20+ a month in care.

Meaning right now with just the three above, you will spend more in a day then you will make in that day. Not even counting health care, stress of driving etc.

ok ok, sorry. my point is unless they will pay you for travel time and mileage, its not worth it. the only catch is....if they can promise a quick promotion then maybe....

I don't even have a "real" job...everyone talks to me like I'm six because of that...I wouldn't leave your job if I were you, but if you don't look you're just making it...and eight bones an hour is garbage...you should definitely look for more...the world is full of oportunity...and you shouldn't always look in the wanted ads...

Look on a bigger scope and I'm sure you'll be able to find your niche...

I found mine...and it came with working an eight dollar an hour job as a security guard...I would think of that hour bus ride and just read this and that killing time...and it came to me...I tried something different...wasn't paid for it...but I will be getting paid around 100,000 a year in the years ahead...thats why people laugh all the time at me...because I'm broke right now, and struggling and they here that and roll their eyes...

so my only advice is (getting back on topic) keep your eyes open an opportunity might just find you as well as you finding it...

A couple of points to remember:

It's easier to get a job when you already have a job. In other words, keep looking, don't quit and then start looking. (I don't think you were planning that anyway). It may be tricky, but it's a lot safer.

Telling a new potential employer you're interesting in switching jobs to work closer to home is a good excuse to leave a far away job.

I worked about 1.5 hours away from home for a while. Some days it was okay, but I really started to worry about the odds of getting into an accident with all the commuting. I was far happier to work closer to home for less money.