"Amending" the relationship after a breakup..

Unfortunately, it didn't work for me...after a brief "honeymoon" period, the same behavior that caused grief before resurfaced again, and I just ended it for good. We were back together for about 2.5 months, and it was stressful for me. When one person betrays the other's trust and/or hurts the other in some way, I think that person really needs to work hard to help restore the relationship. I wanted to work with him, but I had to see him make the effort...and apparently, it wasn't worth it to him. So rather than compromise my self-esteem and self-worth any further, I got out of it.

I hope things work out better for you.

It is hard to make it work. I think you have to work out how great your differences are. If your personalities clash it probably won't work as no one can change their personality dramatically. If the issues are just things like lack of communication or differing interests I think it is possible to work things out but you have to make some ground rules, identify your commitments and set some signposts. It sounds very formal but if you don't do it, and both agree to do it you will invariably fall back into your old ways.