why do i care about my girlfriends past?

i am having trouble letting go of my girlfriends past. i dont know why. we have been friends for like 5 or 6 years and have just recently started going out. well since i was her best friend i know everything about her past and what all she has done. which isnt alot at all its just she has done little stuff with alot of guys and she has had like 3 times as many boyfriends as i have g/f's. i care about her alot and i tried to talk to her about this and she just got mad and said i dont trust her. i do trust her so its not that. i just cant stop thinking about her past and all teh guys she has done stuff with. she has had tons of relationships where she has cheated and that they only lasted a week or 2 and i know she is different with me so why do i even care about her past?

• 3 years later...

Bigs, It is normal to think of ones past but obsessing over it could harm the relationship. For example the lovely (not) guy I am with right now knows everything about my past why? Cause I told him... The reason I told him is because I wanted him to know what I went through and etc.. And if someone were to ask him about my past and I fail to mention it or lie he would get angry and not trust me ( not that he trusts me now cause he is obesseing over it) I just wanted that if someone were to come up to him and say I hear ur gf blah blah blah he would say I know. Knowing about ones past is crucial to help build a relationship that is not based on a lie. People do mistakes and the learn and become stronger.

You need to try and focus on your relationship with the girl does she keep her promises? Does she open up to you and volunteer information? Or do you have to interogate her for answers... Instead of thinking about the past I would focus on the present so that you would be able to keep ur eyes and mind wide open to see if this relationship is for you or not.

Oh Look! Perfect example of one not being Honest about the past....

"

It is better to know the truth than to say a lie or not say the exact truth!

We as humans need to learn to let go of the past...

Now if you cant let go of wrong past things she has done to YOU! That would be more important than the what she did when she was nt with you.

you feel me?

If you truly care about this person, you need to work on not judging them and accepting them for who they are NOW. If everyone was held accountable for everything that they've done in the past, we'd all be cast from society I'm sure.

How old are you? You sound kind of young - I don't mean that in a bad way. But, if you are relatively young, under 21, I wouldn't hold so much against your girlfriend because she is in the process of learning who she is and finding out what type of guys she likes. Obviously nobody agrees that cheating is a good thing, but, considering those relationships were only a few weeks long, I don't think they could actually be considered exclusive relationships. It sounds more dating.

But, if you truly cannot get past her past, then move on. Relationships must be built on trust, and if you don't trust her from the get-go, you won't get very far. Try to look inward and see if you may have some insecurity issues to work on. Many relationship problems can be solved by simply adjusting your perceptions/attitude. Of course, there are some cases where things just won't work out.

I wish you the best!!

Hey trust me i have done the same thing in a relationship.PLEASE PLEASE listen if this relationship is something you want you have to let it go.I have destroyed some awesome relationship because of INSECURITY and thats all it is.I have been told and its true"enjoy her while you have her"Dont sabotage it though and thats what you will be doing by not letting it go.Its hard i know but dont get obsessed with it live your life and enjoy it.Trust me you look better when you just move on from that and live your life.She will be there until she or you decides to go.And the big thing is which sucks you cant change her past but you can be there for her NOW.

For me someone's past does count quite a lot for me.. because it says something about that person. I know people can chance. But by only looking at the last few weeks or even months.. hmm quiete a lot of people are playing a role or could fake or doing their best for a while.. I think you really know somebody after at least half a year with enough contact, and not only at ideal situations! I asked about my ex past but he became sort of angry because he said I was pushing to much on something he would forget about.

• 2 years later...

I have been through this same thing with my boyfriend of a year and 7 months. He is 6 years older then me. He is experienced and been with many women. As for me I grew up with a personal religious choice to save myself for the one. I dated many many guys and never found that quality. I was never a jealous or insecure person. When I started dating my boyfriend I learned he had been with many women and the prior girl he dated for a month he slept with and I new her. I was jealous and angry. And the worst thing I did was I held it in. I was so so so pissed off that he slept around and he ended up with me....the virgin. A clean slate for him and no worries. So when I finally told him about it. He was angry. But over the past 7 months he has helped me so so much. Answer questions. Reassuring me. His honestly and his remorse and love has begun to heal me. Its a long process. I feel what you are feeling. My advice: Don't ignore it. Acknowledge it. Your pain. Your jealousy. Don't lie to yourself. That was my mistake. But you have to get over it if you want to be with her. And that is easier said then done. Forgive and forget. What helped me is realizing that we all struggle, in one way or another. Simply because we live in a broken world, full of sin. People live. She can't change what she did with those guys, just like my boyfriend can not change having slept with those girls. They lived. They may not have been the best choices. Just live in the present. Because that's the cost of the past. Its non-refundable. It sucks. But its life. Just love her. Make her feel desired and appreciated and she will never stray.

much love---ST