Applying for new position, how to tell boss?

I just started working at a law firm about 4 months ago, and I started with the knowledge that the position I was in was one to just get my "foot in the door" so to speak. It's a really simple job, and I knew taking it that I was overqualified (not trying to sound vain), but when I had my interview I took tests to be a legal secretary and I aced them. But the HR director, and my personal friend, decided it was not a good place for me to start. Plus my late mother worked as a legal secretary and I believe the HR director was trying to make this new job as easy on my emotions as possible.

On Monday I went in to have a meeting with the HR director, to discuss my future with the firm and to catch up on our personal lives. I told her I was unhappy in my position because I didn't feel challenged enough. I have a lot of skills that legal secretaries and others use and I feel as if I'm not using any of them here.

After talking for a while, she decided that I should apply for both a legal secretary position and for an Administrative Assistant to the tech director position. Both sound like good possibilities. The secretary one is more challenging and pays more, but the AA one seems like a good transition between my current position (a scanner) and the secretary.

The problem is, since I've only been here 4 months I don't know how to tell my supervisor. She's been really nice and helpful to me, as has everyone in my department, but I feel this is the best move for me. There isn't any guarantee I'll get either of these jobs, but I have a good chance at the secretary one because of my test scores.

I'm a very unconfrontational person. I don't like confronting people, I'm shy I guess in that respect. This may not seem like a confrontation, but to me it is. I'm not sure how my supervisor will react, and I don't want her to think I hate my position. How should I handle this?

Hello and good morning to you CA time.

When you first start out in the working world this is tough one to get use to. Its like our first few jobs we feel some sort of responsability to our bosses, even companies.

You will soon learn that leaving jobs on good terms is never hard. The rule is you always tell people that you are egar to grow, and that a new opportunity has come your way. No one will blame you for that, esp. if you are moving up in the same company!

Just thank your superviosr for all he/she has done. I know I have even learned that after a "notice" to leave has been given, I write a letter of thanks to the supervisor thanking them for all they have done for me. It is something they can keep in thier own HR files as well...good for references too

It is likely that if you have applied for a job within the same company? your boss will hear it...somehow they always do. So you may want to let him/her know you have applied for the spots. If this is with new company, its usually good to let them know, esp. if you are expecting the "new"company to call about a reference. You want to make sure everyone is prepared.

Well best luck, and just remember...look out for you, and never feel scared about telling someone you are going to grow.

you have no obligation to tell your current supervisor that you are looking for a new position no matter how great they are! WHEN you get the new position then you write a nice resignation letter, make sure your files are together, give them your 2 weeks and be on your way.

( I should know....I'm currently doing this and today is my last day)

That may work well for leaving one company and going to another, but I don't think it's appropriate to not say a word to a supervisor and then get a new position in the same company. As segagirl said, she's bound to hear about it and I'd rather her hear it from me first. I guess I'm just mostly scared because I've only been here 4 months, it seems so soon to be moving up. But, I think I'll try to meet with her Monday to talk to her about it. Plus one of the positions I'm going for she can't stand the guy who would be my new boss, so I'm sure she's going to be less than thrilled. Thanks for all your advice!

Update:

I told my supervisor and as my logical sense was trying to tell my fear, my supervisor was fine and actually seemed to expect it. Her only response was "You're bored aren't you?" To which I hesitantly replied that it was not a very challenging position, which she knew. I have my first interview on Friday and hopefully I will get one of the two positions I am applying for. Keep your fingers crossed for me!!!