Is life really that much better without narcotics?

Hello everyone...This is my first attempt at trying to quit taking percocets. I have been on them for almost a year now and take about 4-7 pills a day. A friend of mine that has been sober now for 14 years was telling me that if he had known that life was this fun without pills or alcohol, he would have quit much sooner. I have about 25 percs left from this precription, and I was wondering if this will be enough to detox with. I suppose I will start cutting my intake down a little every few days. Anyhow, can anyone else attest to a great life without drugs? Thanks alot...Eddie

Hi FastEddie and welcome to the Forum

I understand taht you are finding it difficult to see your life without these drugs. I've done quite a lot of drugs, but not these ones. I know that the effects are similar to morphine and make you drowsey and hazy - similarily to the letargic effects of smoking pot.

Perhaps you should read this:

link removed

The best person to talk to about them is your friend or your doctor. Is this drug effecting the way you live- - is it creating barriers to what you could be achieving in your life? If yes - then of course like your friend, you must get off the stuff. Just stop it, and thats that.

I suspect that you already know that you need to stop the stuff - and perhaps are just trying to figure out how - as the buzz is addictive - again , talk to a professional about that and don't be shy about it. It's your life, so take control of it, and start by doing that now. Finishing the pills is not the way forward - get rid of them.

Hope this helps you

Here if you need to talk.

~Charmed~

• 1 month later...

yo ed m39 and been on drugs since im 13 Iworked my way up from drinking andd smokin rite up to shooting herion tonight Ijust came from a viewing for my 27 yr. old cousin whitch diedd from the same. some time during my addiction a brain cell started to work and I detoxed myself and got in a12 step program and beenin it for 9 mths Isuggest find a narcotics anonymous meeting and go good luck and god be with you

• 3 months later...

yes ed life is much better without. Norms 27 yr old cousin was my 27 yr old brother. I watched it happen slowly since I was about 11.He started with steroids and one thing lead to another. next thing we knew he was shooting heroin and it was to late. Im 19 now and after seeing what he went through , he was sick for a long time. Plus the pain it has caused my family especially my dad who fought so hard for him. Ed,quit while your ahead. Your friend is right.