Can parents be too overprotective?

i'm 21 years old and have been living on my own since 18. My mom is Asian and truly believes in keeping tradition in the family. I'm an only child so it's hard to talk to her since she doesn't understand what I want. I try to tell her sometimes but she doesn't want to listen... she always says that I spend too much time with "typical teenagers" and that I should respect my parents. I respect them... that's not the problem. But she has to call me like 10 times a day just to know what I'm doing. I've never done anything wrong but she always has to keep my "confined" in this life. My dad (who is white) is totally cool with everything that I do, as long as he knows where I am and all that other good info, but my mom gets onto him when she doesn't agree on something. I mean, I am 21 for crying out loud!!! And this has caused me to be depressed, not just lately, but since I was in 13... I have even attempted suicide 3 times, but flaked out right before anything drastic happened. i'm afraid that if things don't change soon, I'm not going to let anything stop my from that final moment. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can make my mom not be so overprotective? Please let me know anything that could help. Thanks ---Adidas7fire

One reason that your mom might be overprotective is because you have previously attempted suicide in the past. The only thing that you can really do is explain to your mom that her and your dad raised you with a certain set of values and they have to trust now that you will take what they taught you and make the right decisions from there on out. You value their support, but you are old enough to make good choices in your life. All you can do is discuss this and hope that your mom will relax a little bit or maybe lay off you a bit, Parents have a way of always worrying that they did the right things by their children. Don't let this push you over the edge, she is just concerned and loves you and if you told her how it was making you feel I think it might make a difference. Also I suggest getting some help with your depression if you haven't already. I hope this helps Good Luck

I know that she loves me and all that but it's like she tries not to make me happy. She was never around to know that i did anything to try to end my life... I was always alone, not in her presense. It's hard to just know that life would be easier if she wasn't around. I know that sounds bad for a daughter to say but sometimes the truth does hurt.

I don't know everything that has transpired between you and your mom, but I think that you should give her the benefit of the doubt that she will listen to your concerns. It is sometimes hard for people to realize that there kids are growing up. Just try it is all that they can do.