drug related question- Marijuana

Hey..

Im trying to figure out how much marijuana you would need to smoke to be considered a frequent user, and or big addicted.. Could someone who has been smoking for about 2 yrs, give or take a few months..be a frequent user if they smoke on an avg of about 4 times a wk, and usual more and more than once a day? Could someone be addicted if they only have been smoke for around 2 yrs? Anybody familiar with this topic...i'd appreciate your help. Im doing some research for someone. Of course he doesnt think theres anything to worry about, but hes only 20 and has been using since 18 or a little earlier, and i have been noticing some things. Please help if you can.

THanks.

and i kno pot is not addictive!!!

While there's no evidence to show that one can become chemically addicted to marijuana (like heroin, cigarettes, even caffiene, etc), it has been proven that marijuana carries the possibility of a psychological addiction.

It's hard to say when someone is addicted, but, if someone has been smoking 4 times a week for the last two years, there seems to be an obvious dependency. So, yes, I would say that your friend is addicted. Is he depressed? Maybe he's self-medicating through marijuana. What's his life like in general? Do you have a relationship with him? You say that you've "noticed things." I'm not sure what that means, but the things you notice could indicate addiction.

BUT, HEY, don't listen to me. I just read up on it and got some information. Check the government websites from the UK or the USA. They have some links to legitimate studies about marijuana use and addiction.

Well, as it has been said, Marijuana hasn't been proved to have a chemical adiction that I know of, but you can very easily get hooked on it psychologically. As for the time period this would take, I'm sure that it varies person to person. I've known people who were hooked after the first few times. It just depends. You should probably do as Kd said and look it up on the internet. There's a vast collection of information right at your fingertips, so take advantage of it!

Mentally if you want it that day you will get it.

If you buy in quanity you will smoke for days on in until the bag is finished.

If you buy a small amount chances are you will smoke less

Its not a bad thing to do, but when its done every day you will change in the way you do activities..

I have come accross that if you are phsically active..running,sports like football backetball,track team,soccor

And you smoke after practice it wont effect you in a manor as if you just sat around all day and smoked it...thats the problem you must get your work done first then smoke to relax my 2 cents.

Don't get me wrong, I like the bud. Up here in Canada it's almost legal. I have a few friends who I would classify as potheads. They smoke all the time. If you really want to know if your friend is addicted. Simply look at the definition of addiction.

"Any abusive of a substance or behaviour that negatively impacts one's life." If your friend smokes and it doesn't have a negative influence (ie. Lack of Motivation, or wasting day, loss of memory...) then it's not an addiction. If however it is negatively impacting his day and he is become dependent on its effects then it would be an addiction. Just because your not chemically addicted to something doesn't mean that it can't be addictive.

By your post you said you are noticing things. I think you know the answer to your question. Be careful how you approach your friend. Dealing with an addiction is a very sensitive subject. Most addicts don't even know they are addicted. It can be very embarrassing to address. Just be strong and support him, don't bash him or call him stupid. Remember anything in moderation is okay for you. Don't ask him to quit, just slow down. If he has a routine when he smokes have him shake it up. My friend use to feel that his whole day was wasted because he smoked so much. I suggested he waits until 8:00pm every day, he does that and now he finds himself not wasting his day. Small steps lead to the big ones.

Hey guys,

Well just wanted to say thanks a lot for all your feedback. Everyone was really great, and really helpful. Much appreciated.

The reason i asked the site, was because i know a lot of people have experiences first hand with this subject.. And things i found online were helpful, but nothing really was what i was looking for.

This person I am worried about is my ex bf. He broke off a pretty awesome relationship we had, for no real true reason. Ever since, we still talk but he just asks a lot different. Not just personality, but i do see some physical differences..and lack of motivation and sometimes lonely or sadness. He has closed me out of his life a lot, and he is just hot and cold. But he does have a job, and goes to school... But i see that he centers a large part of his life around smoking. And it does get in the way of things as far as i can see. I feel that nothing i say can convince him.. He smokes with alll his buddies, and if he stopped i think he may lose a lot of his friends since they are all connected by this. He stays in and smokes all the time, and never goes out..Only goes out to smoke with other people. He used to be different. And he used to want to be with me all the time. Now it seems he just wants to be smoking with his friends, and by himself- doesnt want anyone to get involved. I think maybe there are some emotional problems behind, but again he hasnt been opened in awhile. He does forget a lot, and will always say o i planned on calling you but i smoked and got sidetracked.

Im not one to change people. But i see something that i havent really seen in anybody before. Is it possible that when hes alone with me he is more tru to himself, and more vulnerable? He was very emotional when we were together, but just stopped for no reason other then somethign just clicked- or too much stress, or he has a short fuse..Just all those excuses. he can never explain why he shut up me out so quickly. But the reason i care so much is that he still has a piece of my heart, and i still see that he cares- in his eyes i still see that spark. He also says he regreted breaking up, but didnt do anything about it-- I just dont know if the pot had anything to do about it, and i want to help but i just think he'd shut me out more if i did..

BUt thanks a lot guys!!!!

I know you didn't ask for advice or anything, but I couldn't help but reply again. I apologize for that. You can take this however you like.

It is natural to be concerned about those close to you, especially when they are basically self-destructing. And I know that you said that you aren't in the business of saving people. But, do you perhaps feel, in some twice-removed way, that you can save him?

I've seen plenty of people slip into drug use after they break up, only to profess sometime later that they regret breaking up. The implied message then becomes, "I was happy when we were a couple. Now I use drugs to cover up my guilt for breaking up." I don't know if they are trying to explain the depression they are in; or if they are, in a subconscious way, hoping that the other person will think "oh, he must have missed me, and if we get back together, we can be happy again," which is another form of the "saving" mentality...just with a different face.

Again, I'm not saying this is the case. In fact, I'm probably totally wrong. I was just curious.

Smiles, I may be way off here but something you said caught my attention. You said that he quickly shut you out and started hanging out only with his friends and started smoking a lot. Are these new friends? Something may have happened to him that caused him to react the way he did. People don't just snap and completely change for no reason at all. Something happened this adversely affected him and caused him to change. He blocked you out, I'd bet that your not the only person whom he has blocked out.

Weed can be used for entertainment much like alcohol. But if it becomes this all consuming, it's because he's trying to escape reality. I don't know if you can help him unfortunately, often with drug use someone has to hit rock bottom before they realize they need to change. Try talking to him about the reasons he started smoking. It can be healthy, if used in moderation... However, your friend is hiding from something.

There are two types of marijuana- one type- is called "Sativa" The other, well I cannot recall the name. One type is an upper, and the other will tend to make you a little more tired- and we can say this is a downer. The down type is the most readily availalbe- since the "up" type tends to be more scarce and expensive.

What makes someone loose a lack of motivation when they are high is the temporary blow flow shifts in their brain. Lack of blow flow is what often makes someone slow, etc. but once the person ceases smoking for several days- normal blood flow will return.

There are going to be side effects to everthing you do, but marijuana can help people who are dealing with many types of illnesses and emotional problems- as well. I know people who turn to Marijuana instead of antidepressants (which they try - but have serious side effects for them). Also, marijuana can be a subsitute for highly addictive emotional and physical pain relievers. I think the key is moderation- and mature use.

What is bad about marijuana, however, may be the supressing effects it has been found to have on one's immune system (Harvard studies show). Some speculate that there are natural cancer blocking agents in your body that THC may inhibit from working. You may want to look at this as a possible negative- along with respiratory issues (but again- moderation may also prevent these things)-- Also, more research needs to be done and much is just starting to emerge since there are alot of experiemntal subjects that we can use (those baby boomers are coming of an age where we can study these impacts now).

Emotionally- as with anything- you don't want to smoke too much if it impacts your life negatively- and you have the power to use in moderation since the drug isn't physically addictive.

Annagladys

Thanks again guys. And its totally cool that you responded back to my last reply. I welcome your help...you offer me a lot, and please dont refrain from posting again.

Addressing the questions and views that were brought up:

I dont believe that my ex bf started smoking more out of depression or guilt of breaking up. He was smoking when we together, i just think the habit increased after the split up.

He hasnt had any new friends. When he shut me out, it was so strange. It was like one minute we were okay...and the next he was just turning into someone else. And this was mostly when he was back at home with his home friends, in that environment. It was like he wanted to just forget me and not deal with me, and just live it up with his friends from home. And what they did almost all the time was, smoke. Ever since he turned so cold, and when i talked to him on the phone it was like he was a whole other eprson.... he has just never been the same. And for sure you may think i am dumb, but when we saw each otehr there was still a lot between us and i saw it in him..i saw that same person somewhere inside.. Yea, i woulda just said forget this..but he just kept on giving me hope..But it was hard- he'd say things like he misses me, wants me...and the next min he just blows up and says forget it its not gona work...And then he wnted me but not in a full relationship-he wanted a non commitment so he didnt have to put that much work into it- and when i didnt go along with that, he got angry and said i dunt want you anyway.

Now you think, well y didnt she just give up? Well i'd block him online for a month, and the minute i unblocked him he'd im me right away and try to explain. And we start talking again, and han gout- and just never had a bad time when we were togethre..it was the aftermath of it all.. Him not wanting more commitment and me wanting wat we had. I just never understood any of it, because he was the 1 who had watned to commitment more then anything before, and then all of a sudden he changed like that. Up at school, he smokes with the same people he has been friends with so thats nothing new. He jsut goes back and forth with me..Its like when he is home, he is a different person. He speaks to me online for awhile, but then doesnt call me like he says he is gona.

Since pot is a large part of his everyday life i thought maybe he just cared mroe about that..But it could go deeper. All in all, i just dont understand what changed in him.. How he could feel so great and happy when hes around me, and not want me more seriously. I just dont get any of it. Maybe u guys think im stupid, and think that he is just using me. But we broke up a yr ago..And since that year he has been giving me all these ideas. He hasnt been in any other relationship- and last we spoke he wanted to see me nad wanted me to visit, but i didnt say ok..And he said these things.. Well maybe they were just htings and he'll never want me the way he used to.. just when he tells me he has a dream about me and it made him see wat he missed...and its like he should be with me- well that just confuses the hell outta me and makes me mad!!! And soemtimes, i think he believes he doesnt desserve and he wont be good enough for me, so he doesnt even try- once he said sometimes he felt like that...I duno if its true..It just seems like hes either confused, using me, or doesnt want to put in the effort. But i do believe he cares about me a whole lot, and still has some feelings inside.

Sorry, lost track of myself.

Thanks again.

Guys,,,

Hey , he just imed me online.... He said he was about to go to sleep but saw i came on and wanted tos ay hi. He told me he broke his nose last week..and was in the hospital this weekend.. Maybe thats y he didnt call? Anyway, we spoke for about 40 mins.. And i wasnt being my sweet self at all, kind of cold and a litle uncaring...because i jsut dont knno how the heck to act towards him. So he just left to go to bed, bc he probably wasnt understanding why i wasnt being myself... I think im just gunna distance myself from him, i guess thats the best thing for now since i dunt want to get hurt anymore...and i just dont kno wat else to do. I wont interfere with his life or habits.. i'll just worry bout myself..

Thanks guys