hes 25 and im 17, and we're starting to fight, why?

we met when he was 24 and i was 16, we have now been together for almost ten months, we are very happy together most all of the time, but now we have started to fight, i dont know if i has to do with the age difference or not, there is also a racial difference, he is half indian and im white. it took a long time for him to tell his parents about me, and it took longer for them to find out my age. my parents are very accepting of our relationship now, but not in the beginning. a lot of things have been happening recently, lots of changes in life and a lot of new stress, i dont know if we are just taking it out on eachother or if we just arent right for one another. i want to work all of this out and so does he. whats going on?

We all go through times of stress and argument occasionally. I normally find that much of this is due to control and dominance issues. He may subconsciously feel that you will grow up and grow away from depending on him.

We all fear abandonment. Growing in a relationship sometimes means figuring out the other person's perspective on your own. They may not be equipped to tell you exactly how they are feeling.

In times of stress and change we are reverted back to a lower level of consciousness; this is painful and difficult, especially if you feel that you are losing something important, whether this "thing that you are losing" is actually yours or only imagined--it still can be heart-breaking.

Well whats proably going on with you 2 may be the age difference. That is a BIG GAP between you 2! I thinks it's about a 8 year difference. The places he go you can;t go cause your under age also your parents could press charges on him if they chose to! Folk he hang around with is proaby woundering what is he doing with you. I know you 2 are in love, but there are alot of that you 2 dont have in common. I congrat you if the relationship lasts. Remember "love" is the key in your situation.

• 2 weeks later...

age does have an affect...but honestly I don't think its really all on him. I'm 25, and have been dating my girlfriend since she was 19 (she's 21 now). and although it isn't as big of a difference, It's enough of one. when one or the other is young dating an older person, the older person sometimes gets thrown into a "parent" position. not because they want to, but because they've had more experiences, it almost comes naturally. and of course when someone is in their mid to late teens, theres usually a big aversion to parent types. this is a big clash right here...

the other reason I'm offering has nothing to do with age. by the time a relationship reaches a year...the newness has worn off, the excitement of having another person isn't so incredibly exciting anymore. so you start to find stuff about the other person that bugs you, and you are comfortable enough with that person to let him/her know it...and viola...you have an argument..

neither one of these is a sign of doom....provided that both of you realize that you do love each other, and both of you have the patience, and think clearly enough to not do anything over the top to the other. I honestly think you're going through the biggest test of a relationship...if you pass it, then everything will be alot smoother in the future...if you dont...then maybe it wasn't meant to be