Age 21: def. Breakup

I thought it was a damn number, come to find out its an action. Here's the topic for this thread:

What is so life changing about the age of 21 that some people (women in my case) decide they dont know what they want anymore?

Good luck and none of that "it has nothing to do with age" crap please.

I'm not sure who told you it has nothing to do with age, because a lot of things have to do with age.

Society puts a lot of pressure and expectations on people, when someone reaches a certain age and they do not fit the stereotype they freak out.

It isn't always exactly at 21 but it's around that age yeah. It's mainly because your becoming more self aware, and afraid of become mired in a relationship. 21 is young and many women want to start careers. This means they don't want to have childern until at least the age of 25 (after school give them 3-4 years to get a steady job). Personally I don't see sticking with one person as settling down and that's how I used to do it. If I did then I might have shyed away too. Regardless you have to understand people need to live their lives. If they want to date and flirt with other people, they want to be single while they do that.

I personally am happy my ex broke up with me to pursue those things. If she comes back she won't feel the need to again, which is important to me. What also important is the fact she let's me know what's going on, and levels with me.

Being 21 isn't difficult it's just the time when everyone expects you to be drunk having fun and dating 2 different guys a week at college. Having one night stands and chatting with all your friends about all the cute people on campus.

At least that's what TV told me.

I'm 21/f I remember for me it was age 20 when I realized I didn't know what I wanted anymore. Doesn't happen to everyone but it's not uncommon, I had a lot of friends who went through personality changes around 20/21 not really in any bad ways though, just a fact of life, plus sometimes stuff happens in people's lives where they have to mature all at once to be able to deal with it, like stuff happening in the family, job changes, etc the list is pretty much endless not trying to be confusing but hope this helps.

yea i agree with hotchkiss, people do go through changes and like heretic said, some people want to be single. My girlfriend and I broke up 2 months ago for the same reason. She's 19 and she doesn't know where her life is going and she just didn't want to be in a relationship anymore. It's not that uncommon. Listen to Heretic, he's helped me out a lot, gives good advice.

• 3 years later...

I remember feeling soooo crap at 21. I had absolutely no direction, no b/f I had split up with my guy after 5 years together and had some really shallow relationships that left me quite frankly feeling pretty cheap. I felt despairing of the future.

I remember that at 15 life was just beginning (that's how i felt) and I was so excited. At 21, I was no longer excited, just a bit worried! I married the wrong man at 22 and remained that way for 9 years! Then I realised that if I didn't change my life now, it might be too late. I did and haven't looked back. I do hope it doesn't take YOU another 10 years. I think you have to take control of your life and stop going with the flow for a bit. That would have been my advice to me. Ask yourself where do you want to be at 31 and start making it happen.

hey.. this sounds like my life...

with my ex for 4 years.. dumped me 3 months before she turned 20

she seems to be at a point where she's how you all described it... not wanting to settle.. worried about her future... wanting to just focus on school and work and spending time with her girl friends... find herself or whatever.

and it's sad to me.... because she openly admits that if something were to happen to me and i was lost.. it would hurt her like losing her parents... and she continues to tell people i'm her bestfriend and she doesn't ever want to be without me....

but she doesn't love me.

sigh... love.