my boyfriend and I smoke marijuana, we have for a while, I want to quit but he always seems to be stoned and then he wont talk and we dont communicate (when where not stoned we do). We dont do much at all, I have posted message about breaking up with him, but I thought maybe it was because we smoke, but I not sure anymore, I want us both to quit and then see if our relationship works, but everytime I bring it up hes like I dont care, I want to, and then I do, if anyone out there knows what I mean........ I do love him and I would like to see things work out, but I dont know how to say to him, if we dont quit, its over, I have taken the first step by cutting down alot, but he doesnt seem to understand that thats what Im trying to do, its hard when you live together..... got any ideas.

brilliant ! I have just quit smoking pot after 10 years !! My best friend is trying to get himself out of a situation just like yours!

This is how I look at it. Pot is a bad bad thing in so many ways. THe stuff itself isn't addictive, but the high is, and you do get used to being high all the time. So much so, that it does become a habit.

I see it as being very simple. I gave up because it was running my life. I found it controoling where I went, and who I spoke to - made me shy, and closed me off from the world.

Tell him this.

The time for smoking has finished for you, and it is really this simple. You need to stay away from it, and if he continues to do it, you have a problem.This is something that you have to just do, and the problem with pot is that it demotivates you and helps you put things on the long finger very very easily - ah I'll do it later syndrome. I can appreciate 100% your problem. You simply have to get out. You know you want out, and if he wants you, he must follow suite. If he wants to sit around like a stoner - then he can do so alone. This is not easy, and it is something that he may even disregard cause he's stoned, but really, how long are you going to wait for him to get his head together.

Getting off the weed is very hard, especially if youve been doing it reguarly. I say - give him his options, and give him a week to get it together. Set a target date to give up, agree on it, and if he quites great, if he doesn't, you do and get a really great control on you life again. I did !!

Good luck,

Puff puff

Al.

Stevie,

Thanks for posting this....I'm in almost the exact same situation as you.

My bf is bi-polar so everytime I want to talk to him about it, he freaks out and lectures me about how I can't make him choose btw me and his weed. And yeah, I've smoked it with him before too, although I don't anymore. Do whats best for you.

Mel