Is he lying, or being sincere?

I've known this guy for about a year, maybe a little longer, and he's been known to lie occasionally and to be somewhat manipulative. Your probably wondering why this is my problem, well he told me that he liked me and that he was wondering if I wanted to possibly start a relationship with him. I told him I was interested but didn't have a forcertian answer. This happened last night. He told me to meet him somewhere, but never showed up. I thought that he ws just pulling some cruel joke on me or something, but to my surprise, he made an unexpected visit today. He wanted to talk to me about what we were sapposed to talk about last night. ( us and the whole dating thing). I have a feeling that he maybe serious, but I don't know if he's liying to me. Something that sounded weird for him to be saying something was that if I like someone and they liked me and we were trying to hook up that he didn't even want to screw that up. He sounded really sincere. I don't know wether I should take a chance and see what could happen between the two of us or tell him not right now or not at all period. I mean he's a really cool guy I can talk to him about anything and we get along, but like I said he's been known for being very manipulative in getting what he wants. How can I recognise if he's lying? Thanx for listening and all advice is appreciated. thanx again

-Daisy-