Is husband controlling?

I am very unhappy. I came from an unhappy home growing up. And I am still in one as far as I'm concerned. I think my husband is controlling. But am not sure. One thing I don't like is that he yells at me. It won't be for long or calling me names, but I hate it. And it happens about once a day. I have to ask if it is okay to go somewhere. I feel like he tries to cut off friends if he sees me getting to close to them. Does this sound like it to you?we're

Funkygirl...I agree, since you sense he tries to separate you from your friends I'd say he is either controlling or terribly insecure. I wasn't sure about the part where you said you have to ask if you can get away. If you are saying you have to ask him, I'd suggest you stop asking and do what you need to do to take care of yourself. As far as the yelling goes, that's a tough call. Sometimes people in happy marriages yell at each other. It's not the yelling that's the problem it's what you sense he is trying to accomplish by yelling at you. If he makes demands while yelling...etc. Trust your gut feelings.

Now that you've received several replies to your inquiry, have you given any thought about your future? It sounds like marriage counseling is in order. If hubby won't go then please go yourself. During counseling would be a good time to determine if you're better off with your husband or without him.

Life is too short to be miserable. Just because you had a miserable childhood and got into a miserable marriage doesn't mean you have to spend the rest of your life miserable! If you continue on your current path, your probable almost certain future is more misery. If you take the risk and make changes, your future will be full of new possibilities! Change is work. But if you can get at the root of your feelings you'll have an opportunity to make some important changes in your life, and the rewards will be worth the effort.

Good luck!