I wouldn't commit, but I know I wanted to

I was in a year and a half relationship that was very intense. We met and started living together after about 6 months. We continued to live together for a year, until she broke it off due to my lack of independence and fear of commitment.

When we were together, she always asked me about getting engaged and when this would happen. I would always tell her that I wanted to, but that I wasn't sure when it would happen. So when I talk to her now (four months after the break up), she still reminds me that I wouldn't commit to her after being together for so long. I totally understand her point of view, but the thing that bothers me is that I never didn't want to one day get engaged. I just had to figure out my life first (if I'd go to rad school, what I'd do for a career, finding a job, etc). I've told her this, but she still brings it up. I've told her that I had made plans to propose to her this summer, but that I wanted it to be surprise. And she still brings it up. Is it too late to gain her trust back? Is it ever too late? What do I do now?

sit her down and talk to her and make sure you let her know that you love her and want to spend the rest of your life with her. You just want to make sure that you have the right job to make enough money to support the both of you. Education is a must in our world to get a job unless you want to work the rest of your life everyday 9 hours a day at a K-Mart and nobody really wants that

Reassure her that you WILL commit to her, you could even go ahead and give her an engagement ring and tell her as long as that ring is on your finger, you're mine to have and to hold til' death do us part.

That's romantic, right? too much? Well, you get the idea.

True love is NEVER too late.