Should I Go To Law School?

I need advice from anyone who is an attorney or in law school. I am 21 years old, a woman, a year away from graduation at LSU with a bachelor in Business Administration/Prelaw. I have 24 hours til graduation next May. My GPA isn't all that great - a 2.9 - and my motivation toward school seems to be diminishing. I have always wanted to be an attorney for as long as I can remember. At LSU, they offer a combination of your MBA and Law Degrees together which takes four years. This was my intention in the beginning. To have four degrees by the time it was all said and done. But now I don't know what I want to do. I am afraid that I won't get into law school first of all. I want to go to LSU's law school. Then I worry about making it in law school. I have friends in it here and they say that it is brutal at first. They try to weed out that slackers in the first year. And I am afraid that might be me. My boyfriend, poor thing, listens to me complain all the time about this. He always tells me that I need to worry about school right now and not on the future so much. He also says it sounds like I am afraid of failing. I am. I don't want to be a failure. Any advice on my decisions and such would be really appreciated. I am thinking of Employment Law or maybe one day being Chief Legal Counsel. I would LOVE to be a private attorney for a big corporation someday. I just don't know if I should choose another career path or what. I just don't know if I am ready for law school right now. It scares me. Thank you for any advice or stories you can give me!

I didn't grad from a law school, but i did grad from college. I always believe it's better to die trying, then not try at all, cuz you'll wonder all the "what if" for the rest of your life. If you flunk out before end of 1st year, at least you can hold your head up high, knowing your best wasn't enough, and pursue other careers. I think your passion for practicing law will give you strength in your future studies. Good luck, hope that helps.

Thank you so much for your inspiring words. You are right, I would always wonder "what if?" My parents are even offering to pay for law school, even if I don't make it through the first semester. My boyfriend tells me I would be stupid not to take advantage of that, because people like him don't have an opportunity like that. He had baseball scholarships to get his bachelor degree, but otherwise he wouldn't have been able to go to college. I am very lucky in that respect. My parents are very supportive of everything I do. They have always given us everything. But always taught us that money isn't everything. I just know that I am capable of being an awesome attorney, and I won't know unless I try. So thank you again for your advice. This site really does help to get stuff out and off your chest. I need that!

Why don't you try to be a Employment Law Paralegal for a year. With a degree you can go to a certificate program. Doing excellent in the Certificate Program (Letters of Recomendations later) and experience as a paralegal could make up for your less than averagel GPA. Also if you scored in the superior range on the LSAT (170) that would help. Good luck in what ever you choose.

• 5 weeks later...