I am pretty happy with myself in most ways, and I do a lot of things to make everything else good because I have one problem that I believe ruins everything. I am very pale, and it is completely unattractive. I have tried the self tanning, and I love the look of being tan, but that is too much work to maintain (not to mention it costs). So I do research on it and all the sites say tanning is bad for you, especially when you are 16, and that you should avoid it. Now I care about my skin, but also its just a bit hard to get over the paleness. I would most likely risk it, but I am not sure if I should bother. Is it possible to not be able to tan at all? If thats the case how am I supposed to know if I am wasting my time? I hate to feel bad about myself over one thing, and people tell me I shouldn't care, but I do and that just never seems to change.

Dear enchanter,

I have been tanning in a tanning salon for about 2 years now, but not regularly because I tan TOO easily. I have heard that some people with very light skin and of certain descent cannot tan at all. If you have red hair, your skin also tends to be quite tan resistant and also if you only burn and NEVER tan aftera burn, you should not spend ANY time in a tanning bed. You can try a tanning bed. I know that it is not good for your skin...I have been told that many, many times, however, in my quest for a tan tummy, I've done it on and off. Anyways...the only way to tell if you are truly wasting your time is to try it...although I am sure that I will receive much criticism for telling you to try it if you want to. I would suggest just trying about 5 minutes to begin with. Otherwise you will burn, especially with light, light skin. You could tan once a week for a while and use "tan-too" (a sort of sticker that comes in many shapes and designs--when you tan it leaves a design where you stuck it because it blocks the rays) to see if you have made any progress. After you've gone for a couple weeks at 5 minutes, you could move to 10 minutes, but if after the couple of weeks at 5 you notice that all you do is burn and then stay pale, you might want to just quit so as not to burn anymore than you have...if you are burning from the tanning. I have a good friend who is very light skinned and it is really attractive. I realize that you don't like it, but it could prove to be an asset someday...I know it might sound dumb, but if nothing else works and you don't want to use a lotion, it is ok to be pale. Pale can be very beautiful...it really can. Anyways...write me sometime and tell me how it goes!

me

• 1 month later...

I saw a commerical about a self tanning thingie. It's called Instant Bronze Tanning Foam. I don't know if it works but from what I saw you just spray it on your hand and rub it on your skin wherever you want. .....Can someone tell me if you've tried it or if you know someone that tried it and they said it didn't work or it did or what? Please help.

Thanks a bunch!

I have used self tanner before. Not that specific kind but still. It does work, you have to find what is best on you to make it look real. You also have to be able to apply it well and be patient to take the hours it takes. It gets really annoying, so I gave up on it and started to go tanning but I am not sure my skin is taking to it, but I am not so burnt.

I have that problem too. They used to call me the "second dun" at school cuz I was so pale I could blind people with my whiteness. I know I still can't get over it, but I suggest sunless tanners (remember you get what you pay for with them) and a WHOLE lot of sun screen. You can keep your tan up and still be safe.

I own a tanning salon and there are many myths that revolve around tanning as well as much truth.

Tanning at your age isn't a problem, or shouldn't be if you follow a proper tanning schedule and skin care routine. If you are pale you just need to work yourself up slowly. There are beds you can use that produce a strong wave and you go in them for about 25 minutes and you are guaranteed a tan your first visit. They are called the SunSport and Ultrabronze. Call around to salons in your area to see who has them. You are almost guaranteed not to burn with them. The best thing is that 2 sessions a month keeps you tanned.

You also have the option of the Spray on tan that lasts 7 days... completely safe for your skin, and that is called the Mystic Tan. Check for that.

You must make sure you purchase a lotion that is suitable for your level of skin and will give you the colour you wish to achieve.

If you are looking at the cost, my suggestion....go to salons that offer your first visit free and then sit in the sun (with sunblock SPF 8 for a tan) for an hour a day.....cheapie cheapie.

It is somewhat easier, if you have scars or moles exposed to contract an extremly deadly form of cancer called melanoma. If you notice any freckles or moles changing colour or size on your body, you should go to your doctor to check them out immediately, UV rays can be very dangerous and sometimes the look of a tan may not be worth the consequences.

I have had 3 biopsies on moles and thank god I have not gotten cancer...but it is out there....

PM me if you want any more information. If you tell me which state/province you live in, I will get you to a great salon in your area that will help you out for a good price.