How Can I Help?

My best friend has a girlfriend who just broke up with him because her mother doesn't want her hanging out with him. His ex is still in love with him and trys to secretly call him. Her mother found out and started to strangle her and threw her against a stove. The girls father won't report it because he doesn't want anything bad to happen to his wife. My best friend wants to harm himself because his relationship with her is getting her hurt. He doesn't want to report the girls mother because he's just a kid and doesn't have any evidence of this besides bruises [which could easily be blamed on something else]. I want to help him.. and he wants to help too. What can we do? ..no the better question is, What MUST we do to help?

thanks

I assume you too are young, as this is your best friend and you described him as a "kid". In this case, perhaps you should talk to your parents about this problem? Make sure your best friend stays clear of her, and if she tries to contact him, for him to tell her to stop until they get things cleared up. This might sound harsh, but if she is in physical danger then she must stop contacting him.

You need to speak to your parents about this problem, and perhaps they will know someone you can tell. I am not sure what sort of agencies, or sources there are in your country/state that can deal with this sort of problem without going to the police. thereforeeeeeee, I can only recommend you talk to an adult who will trust you about this matter.

• 2 months later...

Agreed. First thing first, diffuse the situation. He must stop contacting her as it is putting her in harms way and if he truly loves her he must understand this. Secondly, you must make sure she is willing to talk about this abuse. The worst thing you can do is try to solve her problems without her wanting you to. She'll deny it and it will cause her more grief when they try to force her to admit to it. It's a tough situation. I agree there is some responsibility to not allow it to go on but as whitelilly said, the best is to mention it to someone you can trust will be understanding of the sensitivity of the situation.