How do I go about filing for relocation?

Hi everyone. This is my first time posting here and I am just look for some advice about relocating. I am 23 years old, live in Philadelphia, and am a mom of an almost four-year-old boy. His father and I were never married. Last April it was determined that I was to have primary legal and physical custody of my son. His father has visitation every weekend (we live very close to each other.) I am planning to get married this June. My fiancé is in the army, which means I may need to relocate to Maryland. What do I need to know before I attempt to file with the court to relocate? Is it likely that it will be approved? I know that our current arrangement would drastically change, but I am willing to compromise, but I am afraid that his father is going to make it difficult. He is very controlling. Is there anything I can do to make sure it will be approved? How long does the process usually take? Thanks everyone for your help.

I'd suggest contacting a custody lawyer and explaining the situation. I don't know much about custody laws myself, but for some reason I'm thinking there may have to be another hearing if you (or the father) move to a different state.