You're on the right track. You need to get help, but here is not the place to get it. Depression is a serious illness, and it can quickly wreck your life. It's insidious, it's hard to detect, and it makes living unbearable - often to the point that the sufferer feels that death is a better choice than continuing to wallow in a living hell. Get yourself the help you need from an experienced professional.

If it were just the grades, then why stay home and still pay the school when you don't intend to go? I sense that you have some hidden issues that you are hiding by smoking and staying home. Go to a college in another town, where it is sunny most of the time, like San Diego. Work or travel instead of going to school. To get out of depression, you need to put the past behind you and never look there again! Meet some new people to hang out with. Get some goals together and move forward. The more you smoke the more you'll become dependent on a depressant. Why not work in a bar in New Orleans? That would be pretty fun! Picture yourself doing something socially acceptable that you would enjoy!

Why not change your major to something a little more challeging or interesting! Meet a girl that is not drop-dead pretty, take her out on an official date like to the movies or to work on a project for school.

Hey, your on the right track, recognizing you have a problem and finding help, you need to look for it in the right place though.

Find out if your school has counseling, im sure there are some groups in your area that help people with depression.

I mean there could be various reasons for your depression, it may be from something that happened to you, breakup, abuse etc. it could be a chemical imbalance in your brain, or it could be solar sensitive, where the daylight cycles play havoc in your head, thats usually solved be staring into a special light in the morning and evening.

• 2 months later...

You are on the right track man.. Hang in there get some proffessional attention and get rid of the bong. I used to enjoy a good buzz every once in awhile until I found myself using it to hide from depression. There is a definate pattern in all this and you have taken the first step in realizing it.

Find help!~

But before you do ditch Jane and the pipes! Don't give them to a friend cause you know they'll be over to visit and you'll find yourself at square one. Throw them out!

I hear what you are going through

i dont know your exact situation but maybe you should lay off of the weed for a while. I used to smoke every single day, failed all of my classes and ended up paying for school just to drop out. I now haven't smoked weed in over 4 years, and am doing great. I still havent gone back to school but i think it will be coming soon

• 2 months later...

Yep, I agree with what's been said. I was in the same boat as you. I was depressed (well still have the disease) and I used to smoke it all the time to self medicate. Eventually, I couldn't really function without it until I became so paranoid and so boring that I knew I had to stop. Stopping brought forward all those problems I had tried to extinguish and I found that counseling was really beneficial. It's been a year since I used any. I feel so much better for it.

Good luck.