Same age as my mom.....

I am in a bit of a dilemma, I am in love with a man that is 17 years my senior. We have both discussed the age gap and I don't have a problem with it and he thinks that it is great. The issue that is at hand is how our families would accept this. He has two sons ages 14 & 18, I know that I sort of balked when my dad married a woman 8 years my senior, has anyone dealt with this sort of a situation and could give some constructive advise? Thank you all so much.

hi there. I cannot say I have been in this situation before but I hope that my input is helpful. First, Id like to ask you why you had a problem with your father dating a younger woman? The reason I ask is because maybe your concerns regarding that issue appy to yours and you are not able to realize it since you are now in the first-person perspective. How old are you and how old is your guy? I think that this may have an influence on the situation. If you are 30 and he is 47, then I really do not see a problem. Even if you are 20 and hes 37, that still sounds ok. But if you are 15-18 and he is 32-35 then I think that there may be an issue. In this case, I do not think that HIS priorities are really straight. What is your relationship as it stands right now mainly based upon...in all honesty. You need to admit to the truth to yourself more than anyone else. If this relationship is based on sex in a large majority, I do not think it is healthy. If there is a considerable amount of more substance that sex, then there could be a healthy relationship here. A lot of the advice I would give you really is shaped by the age of the two of you, tho, more than the age gap that you have...

Thank you so much for your input, I am 30 and he is 47. I think that my biggest concern is with his sons. As for my reasons with my stepmom, I don't think that it was a one-sided issue, I remember she would have a certain demeanor with my brother and I. You did give me things to think about and friendship is a strong basis in our relationship. Thank you very much.