Need advice from girls...Can me and the ex be friends?

me and my gf were together for three and a half yrs. We have talked every couple of weeks, and get along great, infact all we do is laugh and fool around on the phone. We both agree that we love each other very much, and are greatful for having experiencing one another as partners. We know that we are not together because we are at different points in our lives, and can not do the long distance thing. But she is very important to me. So what I want to know is if it is possible to become close friends without our emotions getting in the way?

By the way let me mention that we are eachothers first loves.

Also what are the chances of us getting back together when she is done with school in a few years?Especially since we both think that it is important for us to be happy right now, meaning we are both ready to date other people if the right people come along, because if are meant to be we will still be, regardless of who each one of us date.

Yes,

It is doable and you can stay friends. What I like in you guys is that you have had open communication about this. That you both felt that you can't get together right now and that you guys talked about it.

The trick is to keep talking to each other and keep telling each other what's going on. Open communication leads to a better understanding. Secrecy and hiding parts will make you end up in a fight. I think you guys can pull this through.

In the end this all could be very rewarding, because no matter if you'd date other people, true love always prevails. It might be possible that even after dating and seeing other people, the feeling you two have for each other has gotten stronger, because your date(s) weren't all that.

Bottom line: open communication and have some fun together. Good luck!

~ SwingFox ~

• 2 weeks later...

I think that the chances of you two getting to gether in the future is high given that you have a positive relationship and that you stay friends. It sounds like you both have a good understanding of eachother anf that is important. I think that a healthy relationship could evolve with you.

Yes, it is possible and very easy, too. I like the 'being friends first'-part anyways. You get to know each other in a very relaxed way, without having doubts or other emotions blocking you.

Keep it going is my advice. Good and best frienships are very valuable.

~ SwingFox ~

• 4 weeks later...

It sounds like you both really have your stuff together.

As far as being friends goes, I've had about a 50% success rate with that. Those among the ex's that I am still friends with, attended my wedding three years ago, and consider my spouse to be their friend as well. So that's worked out well. But really, it's a special pair of people that can bury an ended romance and focus on the friendship.

Good luck.