How should I test my exbf to see if he loves me for real?

Hello again everyone! Thanks to all of you I think it is amazing when people help other people, and I really need it. I will try to sum it up here: my 2 year 2 month bf told me 2 weeks ago things didn't work out for him anymore. he completely broke my heart because apart from the fact that he's my first everything and we were engaged this was the time I needed him the most. I was feeling depressed because of several problems and he's also my best friend so I was counting on him to try to cheer me up at least, he didn't and instead made me feel worse every single time I spoke to him in the end I was really weak and everytime I asked him if he really loved me and wanted to stay with me for the last 2 months of our relationship he said yes. Anyway, after almost a week of crying every day for every moment it came to me that I really had to move on. I started going out with friends and 2 days after he calls me 20 times. Next day I finally picked up the phone and ask him what he wanted and he said he missed me, loved me and wanted to talk to me. So, we talked and he said he regrets everything that happened and that he wants to be a better person and that I am the girl of his dreams and that he still wants to marry me and make me happy. I don't know what to do. He seems honest to me but I am really really scared. He tore my heart into pieces and treated me like crap for the last 2 months. But still, I love him and of course I would love it if all he's saying is true. I told him he would have to make merits before I told him yes again. What should I do? I really want to know if this is for real I have never tested anyone for love in my entire life and I haven't any idea of how to do it. I don't really like the idea, of course it would be amazing if I just believed him and tried again, but the thought of feeling heartbroken again is just too much. What should I do? Help!

Paola, 21, Mexico.

Hi again Paola,

Thank you again for your input in this forum. It pleases me to hear that things might be turning better for you. I hope that this young man is sincere about you and really want to make things work this time.

First of all, unfortunately, I have to tell you that trust and confidence is not being built overnight. Things like that take time and patience. But there is one thing that this man could do for you to help you.

I would suggest that you ask him WHY he left you in the first place and WHAT happened? Ask him for a detailed explanation. Wether his explanation is acceptable for you or not, at least you KNOW why he did this to you in the first place.

I think that you'll be able to take it from there... I wish you good luck with this

~ SwingFox ~