I have recently gained a lot of weight...Does anyone know good suggetions of losing weight that isn't too stressful....I have access to a really good gym, but can't get past eating a lot of crap foods in large amounts...I think it has a lot to do with the amount of stress in my life and it's kind of a way to feel better, but now it's just making me feel worse and more self conscious than before...please help

Hey, I am there with you! I have been on a rollercoaster with this for a while. But one thing that I found that helps is I keep myself within a range. I wont allow myself to get over a particular weight or under a particular weight. I have found myself to be happiest when I am under 130 so I dont let myself go over that. If I get close, I begin to make myself consious and aware of my eating habits. Am I eating because I am bored? Stressed? Upset? Sometimes it doesnt help, but most of the time it at least gets me to not eat as much. Or I will eliminate certain foods for a week and just eat what I need to. Or only eat when I am hungry, not when I am bored. I dont let myself take cash to school cuz I know I will grab junk food somewhere along the line.

Make sure you dont have the "forbidden foods" around. Dont stock up on chips and chocolate cuz it will make it more difficult to stay away from it. Dont take extra money if you think there is a possibilty that you will spend it on food. Go for a week without something that you enjoy, and then at the end of the week, treat yourself to it, but dont overindulge. It makes it taste much better if you havent had it in a while, anyway. Try to become aware of what you are thinking when you go to grab that bag of cheetos. If it IS because you are hungry and not upset or stressed, then consiously make the decision to eat something else. it is hard and takes will power but remind yourself how proud you will feel after you tell yourself no. Try to only eat half of a meal rahter than scarfing it all down at once. After half is gone, you are probably full and just save the rest for next time. If you are still hungry, then have a little more but ration youself. If you have access to a gym, you will feel SOOOOO much better when you go. I get into this rut when I am stressed or upset at times in my life, I think everyone does. But if you have a pattern and will power, you will be fine. I would say the big thing that has kept me from getting too heavy is finding that range of weight that I am comfortable at and not exceeding it in either direction. But stay healthy!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Being male I know little about women's metabolism's and such but I need advice. Four months ago my gf began to put on weight, it was great as her figure filled out as she always dreamed. Clothes she always wanted fitted and she grew more beautiful by the day, but since christmas things have been going slightly awry. My gf keeps putting on weight, since Xmas alone she has gained 30+ pounds, the clothes i bought her a forenight ago are now useless as she cant fasten them. She is beginning to get depressed as her body grows, but the more she tries to do about it the faster the weight goes on! There is no reason why she should be gaining, not even pregnancy we checked! Please help because the depression she feels when are close is enough to put her in tears. I love her very much and I hate to see her so upset.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

Weight gain is so easy to do, however unless you have an illness or a very unusual metabolism then there is no reason why each and every one of us can not be the weight they would dream to become.

I have never been fat, I have always eaten healthily and gone to the gym reguarly. Most people would say that I am am slim or have a lovely figure. But when I look in the mirror I feel over weight, not a lot, just slightly.

I have never perfected my weight for me. I find that even by going to the gym and eating healthy my weight never changes my body thinks its at its perfect weight but I believe you should never give up until you reach your own goal, the only one way I can lose weight is by eating VERY small amounts of food per day. By small amount I mean a salad for lunch and baked beans on toast for dinner everyday which is really hard to do.

This is not the same for everyone though, if you weigh more than 10 stone and you are a woman believe me it is a lot easier to lose the weight. All you have to do is eat LESS than you are already, you may say I have tried everything but you can not have tried just simply eating a lot less or you would not be over weight.

Even if you didn't excerise you could lose weight by not eating the amounts you are consuming to keep the weight increasing. It takes a lot of WILLPOWER to do this, when you think about having dinner look at the fat content of the item you are going to eat, they say women can have 70grams of fat per day - but this is only if you are NOT on a diet. You need to look at the fat content and think to yourself, do I really want to eat this, is this going to make me feel better about myself.

Try taking away butter or marg from things like beans on toast with no marg. Buy food that keeps you snacking but doesn't make you put on weight. like: apples, baked beans, salad, carrots, pasta salad, crackerbread, soup, rice pudding, fruit salad or things that do contain fat but smaller amounts that normal snacks: very very low fat crisps, jacket potato (with no butter), nutrigrain bars, slimming bars (just one though per day), low fat microwave meals (all types are great for losing weight)

You don't need to do this every day, at the weekend if you have been strict with yourself then have a pizza, you can have the nice things if you stick to the healthy ones 90% of the time.

If you are not part of a gym, jog round the block for half an hour a day, the pounds will fall off you.

There is no fast scheme that will encourage you to lose weight, the only way is if you have the will inside you to do it.

I will report back in fours weeks when I have reached my ideal weight, and I will get there - because I want to.