I was dating a girl for 11 months when she broke up because of the whole I need my space issue. About a week before the breakup she wanted me to go to her works Christmas party. We spent that whole weekend going out to eat, snowboarding, and buying clothes for the Christmas party. To me that time was special. I even picked out her dress and bought it for her, she was beautiful in it. That same weekend we went over to my parent's house. My mom really liked my girlfriend and gave her some dresses to try on. My mom did tell my girlfriend that she wanted the ones back that she didn't plan on wearing, she seemed grateful that my mom made the offer in the first place. Everything seemed to be going fine. It wasn't until the night before the party she told me she suddenly realized she needed her space. I was hurt, but not so surprised. It was the second time this happened. The first time she said she didn't know what to do. She wanted to be with me but wanted to be her own person again, to have her space. I told I knew what we had to do and told her we had to break it off. She came back to me after that. Of course after the first breakup, which was only like 2 days, she found the time to cheat on me with her ex. I didn't find out about that until we were back together for a month. I forgave her and things seemed to be getting better. Well this second breakup before the Christmas party she tells me that she has to do this, and I can't talk to her. She said she had to remain true to herself and not see or talk to me anymore. She said that it's not that bad anyway because she was suspended from work and couldn't go to the party. I knew she had been written up a couple of times for being late, but this suspension was news to me. I remained a little skeptical but did not question her on it. So the following week after the party I went to the gym, which is where she works. I wasn't about to quit going to the gym since I had been working out there years before she became part of the staff. Thankfully that night she was not working. So I asked her coworkers, which I knew through my ex, how the party was. I mentioned that my ex was suspended from work. They looked at me completely confused. I knew I shouldn't have asked the next question. I asked them if she went to the party with another guy, turns out she did...none of them knew who this guy was though. I ceased to ask questions and began my workout. It only lasted 15 minutes when she walked in the front door of the gym. I am not one to create a scene, but love is a pretty powerful emotion. I stormed out towards the door, when I got to the front desk where she was standing I told her, "by the way, thanks for lying to me". I said nothing else and everyone around was starring at us. She got beat red in the face and told me that she wished I would talk to her before I start talking to other people about things. She angrily told me she was at work and would talk to me later. I just left after that, fuming. I felt a little bad because I didn't want things to end like that. What really bothers me is that I am pretty sure she went to the party in the dress that I bought her the one I picked out, but I don't really know. I don't think I want to know to be honest. It's been only about 2 weeks since that incident and I am doing okay. I want to be friends with her, but I don't want to call her just yet. I don't know if I should ever call her again. However my mom wants the dresses back that she is not going to use, they were fairly expensive. Should this be something I just take care of later when I am ready, or should I get those dresses back as soon as possible? In a way it's good that we broke it off because I ended as someone different too, I lost myself, I was always bending over backwards for her. I hardly spent time with my friends anymore. It just seems such a waste to end it like this. I really do want to be her friend. I just have no idea what to do at this point and would like some suggestions. Sorry for the long story, just wanted to share my experience with everyone.

Dealing with a person that likes you but not quite enough can cause some serious problems. The things that you have been through are quite painful and distressing. Let me point out something to you.

A persons heart is very precious. If a person can hurt you, lie to your repeatedly, have no loyality to you, and anything else that can violate your love is capable of anything.

They could steal from you, damage your things or even cause physical harm to you. These type of people CANNOT be trusted.

And for friendship you should consider this. Ask for your dress back and move along in your life.

Make the right decision.