Feeling very empty, what to do, what to do...

So here's the deal. I feel very unfulfilled. I have a BA in sociology with grades too crappy to get into grad school. I work a crappy job that has a high degree of turnover. I wanted to go into student affairs, but now I don't even know what I want to do. I've pondered another degree, but I don't even know what. I just feel listless, living a life with no promise. I have these moods of depression and angst over my life choices, but now it's turned into no real desire to do anything with my life. I really don't want to shell out $10-20,000 a year for 2-3 more years to get another degree in something I don't even know what. I have lost all ambition to do anything. I have no desire to even know where I want to go when this job is through in May. I hate it here, but I truly feel I'm going to hate it anywhere. Sad? Very. Welcome to my little hell. No ambition. No desire. Very unhappy. Nowhere to turn. I'm 27, hating my life, with nothing if very little to show for it...

Hello. I just read your letter and want to let you know you are not alone with your feelings. I, too, am 27 and feeling very troubled about life. I have had a strinbg of very painful relationships, and this last one has been the most damaging yet. Sometimes I feel like I am doomed to loneliness. I own my own business and feel so alone and empty sometimes. I want you to know that life is still ahead of us, though, and for every awful time, there will be a balanced good time. Time tables are frustrating, and it often seems like positive things seem impossibly far away. But the fact that you are reaching out is a sign that you have hope. This is a precious thing. You have ideas and goals, and although things seem confusing now, believe me, there will be a clearing. Right now you are meant to be in this transitional state because it has some important things to teach you. Perhaps in this situation, a new insight, a new person will come into your life and change everything. Sometimes "waiting in the wings" causes us to ponder things deeply and grow in stronger ways than if we had everyhting come to us right away. You are very young and have endless promise because you are a unique, thinking, feeling soul. Don't worry if thinsg seem unclear right now. Thank you for reaching out and wishing to relate your feelings to others. Your emptiness will taper as new things come into your life. Don't be afraid of this feeling; jus accept it for what it is and know that it won't be forever...nothing ever is.

I know this probably doesn't help right now, but in time you will have a clearer perspective on things. Keep writing out your feelings, write to me, to others, talk it out. Let life calmly show you where to go. If you have a faith, pray. I have found that finding others to help has helped me. My heart is terribly broken, but as I rech out to write back to tohers, I start to feel better and not so alone.

Please let me know how things are going. Bless you.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I'm also 27 and am currently feeling that whats the point living when you dont feel alive.

I have just lost the girl I love after 8 years. She has 'moved on' apparently. I am absolutly devestated and scared, not only because I've lost her, but because I realise I have based my whole life around her and I now am left with nothing.

No friends, no life, no hopes, no direction, no motivation. I still live at home for god sake. I realise now that she has moved on since we've got together, whereas I am still the same, doing the same thing, with nothing to offer her really.

Why did I have to realise this now!????? I could have had the chance to transfer jobs nearer to her, move out and find a place for us together, but no, I've blown it and now its too late. If I was her, I wouldnt want me either.

I would like to start my own business, I even have one to start, but low self confidence, fear of failure, fear of the unkown and procrastination are destroying my chances of ever making it get off the ground, let alone succeed.

I think these things are what have kept me stuck in the same place for so long, as though I'm chained up, unable to control my own life.

I am going to try to get help now, as I realise that no longer can I live like this, i just wish i knew where to start.

Here's to somehow fixing our lives in the new year folks.