The age gap in my relationship isn't really significant, but it is relevant. My girlfriend and I have been together offically for 1 year and 2 months (I'll spare you the stories about how we crushed on each other in middle school, etc...). I am 18 years, 2 months old. She is 16 years, 8 months old.

The other night her parents decided out of nowhere that they hated me, and that I am not allowed to see their daughter anymore. Not only that, but they're threatening to take me to court for having sex with her. Not only that, but they had the police show up at my house to threaten me over it.

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but in the state of Ohio (as in most states) the age of sexual consent is 16, and it is legal for a 16 year old to have sex with an adult as long as they are not more than four years older than them.

Not only that, but the police swear up and down that there is a medically-based test that can conclusively prove that I've been having sex with my girlfriend. Now, I think they can only tell if there's been trauma inside the vagina (broken hymen, etc...which could happen from a lot of things) and short of finding my semen or a baby inside of her, there's no way that test could prove anything.

So, if I'm right, which I think I am, is there anything I can do legally for this harassment, including her parents and the police just flat-out lying to me? I'm more interested in getting back at the police for lying to my face like that. I mean, isn't that illegal?

Any help would be appreciated.

Sounds as though her parents are hyperventilating over the fact that they've discovered their daughter is sexually active. An 18 month gap in your ages isn't really that big a deal, even at your relative youth. If they've been so out of touch so as to not believe such a thing could happen, then I can understand why they've reacted as.....firmly..as they have.

At this point the police can prove very little. If she's douched, or has had her period since you've 'done the deed' I'm extremely doubtful there is ANYTHING, even DNA that could prove YOU were the one who 'assaulted' their daughter. If you wore a condom (which you ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY should have done), there's nothing that will point to YOU. An exam WILL prove her hymen is broken (although this can happen mountain biking, horseback riding, or even using tampons).

Her parents overreacted (in my view, and I have two kids only a little younger than you and your girlfriend). Having said that, do I think you or she are at an age where you should be having $ex? NO WAY! You're both too young. There is no 'right' age. It's a question of maturity, and I don't know ANY sixteen year old who is emotionally mature enough to explore this side of relationships...

Personally, I think they accomplished their goal, they scared the snot out of you. You REALLY should just let the anger go. The police weren't trying to hurt you, just scare you.

Let it go, and try to have a meaningful, mature conversation with her parents (one or both). If you REALLY feel something for this girl, you need to SHOW them that by your actions, how responsible you can be, and how you treat her (and them). Of course they're going to be protective of her, she's their daughter! You have to give her (and them) the respect they deserve. You'll never win a pi$$ing contest with either her parents or the police, so do the mature thing.

Good luck!