Here's what I do:

If I like a girl, I'll wait for her to send out signals: looking at me when I'm not looking, looking down when I catch her doing this, playing with her hair, smiling...shit like that.

Then, I go up to her when she's by herself (very important) and smile. If I don't know her, with a deep yet playful voice I say "so what's your name?" If I do know this girl, I ask her questions about her life--how she's handling school, what she plans to do later, etc. That shows concern. Then, I transition from that to what I plan to do. If she's not busy with school or otherwise, I then say something like "I'm going to ____. It'll be hot. Come along, we'll have some fun." Instead of asking her to come along, I make it more of a subtle command--it's more assertive that way. Avoid the words "date" and "go out"--they're too serious. A date is just a fun outing that can lead to more "fun" if you know what I'm saying.

In recap, smile, show concern, talk about something cool, suggest that she go with you. IF you're friends, she shouldn't resist. I haven't been turned down for a date (out of lack of interest) with this approach.