Ended it, she wanted friendship, but it's not working

We've been going out since May and knew each other from back when we worked together. She took the initiative from dating to a more serious relationship by offering to pick me up from the airport after my holiday and then took me to celebrate her mothers birthday. A couple of weeks later she goes cold and it starts to feel like a one way relationship. We're both extremely busy with work but I'm the only one making an effort. So I ask her if she doesn't want to see me anymore, because it sure feels like it. I basically forced her to break it off, but the thing that gets me is that she then turns it around and said she couldn't handle a serious relationship right now and wanted to remain friends (back to where we were so to speak), even though she took the initiative when it came to making it serious. I still have feelings for her and have let her know it, but she said she just wants to be my friend. Having gone beyond friendship makes going back to it really awful for me. I want to get back together again, is there any hope? Or do I cut her off completely?

My girlfriend and I broke up three months ago. She was and is my first love and it killed me. Basically, she got scared by the commitment and had to bail out on the relationship. She said she felt like she wasn't attracted to me anymore and that she thought we should date other people. I obviously was not happy with this, but I said ok because I love her and I wanted her to do what she needed to do for herself. Eventually,she started dating someone else and I tried to be friends with her, as we were best friends before we started dating, but ultimately it just didn't work for me. Finally I told her that I couldn't be friends with her as long as she was dating someon else or until my feelings for her changed. She cried, but said she would respect my wishes. I have to say, that was the hardest thing I have ever done in my life. To face the possibility that I would never see her again was petrifying, but I did i and I am stronger for it. We didn't talk for over a month and just this past Sunday, she wrote me a letter telling me how much I mean to her and that she was so sad that it took another person for her to realize how special our relationship was. She said she just wanted her best friend back and that if I was willing she wanted to come over to talk about it. I thought about it for a day and finally agreed. It was really wonderful. She apologized and said that she missed me so much. I told her that it would not be easy for me to get over the hurt she had caused me, but that I loved her and that we could start slow and work on rebuilding our friendship. I also told her that she would have to break it off with her guy and try to be alone for a while (she has issues with needing male attention), as well start seeing a therapist to work stuff out. She agreed and we are going to hang out on friday. I think she eventually wants to get back together, ubt knows that we have to work out our issues first. I feel the same way.

Two weeks ago, I was desperate and depressed, but you see, things can change if you do what's best for you. Remember, she broke up with you. You offered her the world, but she rejected it. By breaking off your friendship, you are not betraying her or not being there for her, you are doing what you have to do to find peace, just as she is doing what she has to do to be happy. If you are there for her during this, she won't truly feel the experience of not having you in her life. Only whne you are gone will the both of you truly know her feelings. It is difficult to do, but it was necessary for me. There is one caveat though. You have to come to grips with the fact it is possible that you will lose her forever. That has to be an acceptable outcome or else I wouldn't do it. I had no choice. I had to risk losing her to end the horrible pain I was feeling. I leave it to you. Good luck!!