The guy I am interested in seems very interested in me and even said yes when I asked if he wanted to hang out and do something with me. He flirts all the time and treats me differently then all the other girls I see him around. Well I called him one day and he seemed in a bad mood. He was very cold and blew me off completely, he even gave me the whole no dont call me,. I'll call you bid. Before he did that he said he wanted to hang out with me and it was weird because he has never spoken to me in such a way before. Something had to be wrong. I found out that the night he was supposed to call, because he didn't, he ended up doing cocaine with his friends. He apparently had a problem in the past and had quit. The next 2 days at work he felt terrible and didn't say a word because he was so disappointed in himself for using again. What can I do to help him? I am very concerned. I like him a lot, and he has given me every indication that he feels the same except for that one night. It was like he did a total 180. What can I do to let him know that I am not upset that he didn't call, but instead am here for him if he wants help??

• 2 weeks later...

We all remember the first step to accomplish a task is to admit your problem, it seems that he has admit to his problem with drugs.

I think he accomplished that quite well, the next step is to visit a councelor or psychiatrist, they are required to keep all the information confidential and will provide you the necessary advice and medication to quit.

I hope I was of help.

Farewell!

• 9 months later...

I've had a very similar experience. I read your post and thought I'd reply.

I dated my boyfriend for about a year---we live in different states so there was a lot I didn't know and had to find it out second-hand from his family or my friends that he talked to. I confronted him several times but he said he had it under control and didn't have a problem anymore. He is addicted to painkillers (oxycontin, Loratabs, Xanex)---he had a problem when we met, but again, he said he had it under control and all that was in the past. I found out that he continued to take them. One day I called him and he just seemed like a different person---very nasty. His mom told me that he doing his drugs. I got upset at him and to make a long story short, we broke up. He wanted me to mind my own business even though it was affecting our relationship.

My advice to you---tell him you're there for him, but remember he might often put his drugs before you. Really reconsider having a relationship with him if that's what you want. If you choose to stay with him, expect many situations similar to what you said in your post. You'll often feel like the "other woman" to his drug habit. You're not going to be able to change him----I thought my boyfriend would change, but ultimately he chose his drugs and mistook my concern for him as nagging. His friend died in front of him when they were taking drugs---did that stop him? No, in fact I heard he's doing more now than before, but he says he has it "under control". He looks awful and the last time I saw him he smelled, he hasn't worked for a year and has no plans to work--he plays video games most of the day and spends his money on drugs when his children (with another woman) are living on welfare.

I knew this guy had a problem from day one and I wanted to take care of him and thought he would change with my help. He didn't. I had to realize that it's his life and ultimately he has to make the decision to change.

I know you care for your friend a lot. But I would just be really careful if your guy is not seriously doing anything to change----just be wary if he says he has it "under control".