Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Masks and a Wedding

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by Hollyj
    I have to pick my battles in my city. I never know who the crazies are.
    same. I quietly avoid or I will address a store employee "please move me to another register since the person who was just there was not wearing a mask" - and no I don't care if the person hears. I absolutely will not confront and I am floored as to how many people block the sidewalk so no one can pass- much less at a safe distance -and say nothing when I walk in the street to avoid -often it is dog owners who stop suddenly, blocking the entire sidewalk, so their dog can have space or interact with another dog.

I would marry privately and host a celebration next year.

It makes no sense to cast yourself in the role of policing people at your own wedding--kinda defeats the purpose of enjOying yourself.

It also makes no sense to play roulette with this thing--it's so contagious.

I kept watching Italy even while my own state slammed shut. I couldn't figure out how so many people could still be catching Covid during a full shutdown. Italy's restrictions were even tighter than ours, and yet weeks into this thing people were still dropping like flies?

So if everyone in Italy was masked, and even gloved, when they went out only for supplies, how were so many people still catching it?

Given this, as we head into a predicted second wave, I'd ask myself why I'd pick NOW to gather ANYBODY together, regardless of their safety habits.

Who'd want someone's illness or death to become a key marker of their wedding anniversary?

Get married, not wedding. Save that for safer times.

Hmmmm.... I would probably forgo the wedding guests or postpone until this is over. Why make yourself crazy? Your wedding day is about you and your beloved. If you can't trust people to be cool, for your sake, for one day, why do you need them?
    Last edited by Lambert; 11-08-2020 at 10:48 PM.

Agree with Lambert. It's a special day. Hopefully this blows over shortly and the party can begin. Till then I'd hunker down and take it easy.

Platinum Member
    I would shave down the guest list to whatever the regulation of that state is -- if they are limiting indoor gatherings to 50 - shave the guest list and have a BBQ for all 150 family and friends later.
    Limit seating so that people from the same household sit together. If you are in a climate where you can have part of it - cocktail hour - outside, the better.

If you wait until you can have 150 people, you might not get married until 2022 unless its outside.

I would decide if the marriage or the party is more important to you.

The fact that people actually thought it might be appropriate to get in someone's face and scream at them for not doing what you think they should be doing, is concerning, and only serves to highlight the fact that wearing a mask has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with "caring about others" (and has nothing to do with a virus either) and has everything to do with having power and control over said "others."

If you're having trouble identifying the crazies, might it be because they are far, far too close to you to identify objectively?

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by waffle
    The fact that people actually thought it might be appropriate to get in someone's face and scream at them for not doing what you think they should be doing, is concerning, and only serves to highlight the fact that wearing a mask has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with "caring about others" (and has nothing to do with a virus either) and has everything to do with having power and control over said "others."

If you're having trouble identifying the crazies, might it be because they are far, far too close to you to identify objectively?
    I wear a mask for two reasons. To protect others, to protect myself. I avoid confronting people who are not wearing a mask when it's mandated or wearing it below their nose which is bizarre - what's the point?? Yesterday there was a woman meditating in front of the frozen pizzas. I'd seen her in the store before -we seem to have the same weekly schedule. Anyway her mask was pulled down. I knew what I wanted. I had no time to watch her meditate. So I said to her "do you mind if I get there -I know what I want and I'm not comfortable being near you since you're not wearing a mask" -she made some lame excuse about how she'd "forgotten" to pull it up (but it's mandated at this store -forget??). I don't want power or control. I don't want to get sick and I want my pizza -she obviously had no clue what she wanted to buy, and I did. And I was following store rules and she was not so in my opinion my needs took priority at that point. Our infection rate is really high and I couldn't care less about power or control. I do care about mine and others' safety.

Originally Posted by Batya33
    I wear a mask for two reasons. To protect others, to protect myself. I avoid confronting people who are not wearing a mask when it's mandated or wearing it below their nose which is bizarre - what's the point?? Yesterday there was a woman meditating in front of the frozen pizzas. I'd seen her in the store before -we seem to have the same weekly schedule. Anyway her mask was pulled down. I knew what I wanted. I had no time to watch her meditate. So I said to her "do you mind if I get there -I know what I want and I'm not comfortable being near you since you're not wearing a mask" -she made some lame excuse about how she'd "forgotten" to pull it up (but it's mandated at this store -forget??). I don't want power or control. I don't want to get sick and I want my pizza -she obviously had no clue what she wanted to buy, and I did. And I was following store rules and she was not so in my opinion my needs took priority at that point. Our infection rate is really high and I couldn't care less about power or control. I do care about mine and others' safety.
    I agree, Batya. I have zero interest in "controlling" anyone (what for??) but rather in limiting my possible exposure to a deadly virus.

As for the OP, I agree with a wedding consisting of her and her fiance plus two witnesses and a minister or judge. It can be filmed or live streamed; a friend of mine live streamed his wedding because (pre-Covid) he didn't want to offend anyone by not inviting them. So they invited both no one and everyone by live streaming. I have known this young man since he was about 10 years old and I actually cried even though I wasn't there in person!

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by boltnrun
    I agree, Batya. I have zero interest in "controlling" anyone (what for??) but rather in limiting my possible exposure to a deadly virus.

As for the OP, I agree with a wedding consisting of her and her fiance plus two witnesses and a minister or judge. It can be filmed or live streamed; a friend of mine live streamed his wedding because (pre-Covid) he didn't want to offend anyone by not inviting them. So they invited both no one and everyone by live streaming. I have known this young man since he was about 10 years old and I actually cried even though I wasn't there in person!
    Great idea! I've attended a few zoom events like that and I found them so meaningful!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Videos

Maintaining A Strong Relationship

Detaching From a Malignant Man

Divorced Parents Prefer Technology and Social Media As Communication Tool

Wedding Jitters Could Be a Predictor for a Future Divorce

Botox Fights Depression And Makes You Feel Happier

Men Are More Sensitive than Women when Having Relationship Problems
Give Advice
Ask For Advice