not sure what to do here

yamajii89

Hi everyone. just seeking some help, im a guy and i just got my GF pregnant, we're both really happy about there's really not much or a problem except that i feel sorry that for my girl puking all the time and feeling nauseated and just over all weak. im not sure what my role is here im just doing all that i can but still feels like i could be doing more.

My poor Daughter is in the same position, pregnant & very unwell.

The best thing you can do is be supportive. Let her know you are there for her.

Listen to her and sympathize, fetch her drinks & snacks etc if she asks, and just be loving!

You sound like a wonderful partner! Best of luck

Any chores you can take on, offer to do so. She will go back and forth between feeling horribly nauseated and having sudden cravings. You shouldn't have to go out at 3 am to get her a Slurpee, but if she wants something and you're able to get it, do so. She'll appreciate it.

And be mindful that her sense of smell is going to be extremely sensitive. If something sets her off, remove it.

I agree with others. All you can do is have compassion, be helpful (chores, cook, clean, errands, tasks) and keep quiet. Don't talk too much otherwise you'll irritate her and compound her misery.

She might be dehydrated so make sure she drinks water or at least sips water. Some women claim that nibbling on dry toast or crackers helps. Make sure she gets plenty of rest.

Congratulations! I'd keep ginger ale and saltine crackers on hand. And just try to help by doing more around the house and asking how you can help. Don't try to be a mind reader. And be willing to back off. You don't know what its like to be pregnant, but you do know what its like to be sick...

Hopefully the morning sickness (not just in the morning though) will pass as the pregnancy progresses. Some women have it worse than others.

I agree with others. All you can do is have compassion, be helpful (chores, cook, clean, errands, tasks) and keep quiet. Don't talk too much otherwise you'll irritate her and compound her misery.

She might be dehydrated so make sure she drinks water or at least sips water. Some women claim that nibbling on dry toast or crackers helps. Make sure she gets plenty of rest.

Yes this and ginger tea can help too (without caffeine). Best wishes for a healthy pregnancy!

Do you live together? Do you both work? Hopefully she is seeing a doctor regularly for prenatal care and discussion of symptoms like this. Stay out of her way and just be considerate asking what she may need here and there. Do you have family nearby? Does she? Where is her family?

i just got my GF pregnant, we're both really happy about there's really not much or a problem except that i feel sorry that for my girl puking all the time and feeling nauseated and just over all weak.

The fact that you are asking is a good sign

Make sure you tell her how beautiful she is to you.

Hold her hair for her, have a damp wash cloth standing by.

Basically make her life as easy as possible so she can rest.

Offer to go for walks with her and hold her hand.

She needs to know you are all in and with her no matter what.

As this goes along go to every doctor appointment possible and be involved.

Congratulations by the way

Lost

Yes this and ginger tea can help too (without caffeine). Best wishes for a healthy pregnancy!

Thank you, Batya33. My mother-in-law (MIL) sips on ginger ale or nibbles on gingersnap cookies whenever she feels queasy and it seems to help her stomach issues plus it's a nice little treat. :smug:

Thank you, Batya33. My mother-in-law (MIL) sips on ginger ale or nibbles on gingersnap cookies whenever she feels queasy and it seems to help her stomach issues plus it's a nice little treat. :smug:

Yes, as long as it's real ginger (note that ginger in large quantities has some risk of causing miscarriage/issues but from what I read way back when it's only if it's a lot of raw ginger)

Every pregnancy is different. The best thing you can do: LISTEN TO HER. She will tell you what she needs and when she needs it. Don’t argue. Don’t debate. And especially don’t question it. It is not about you anymore. Your job is to make sure she is comfortable while she goes through 9 months of Hell with her body and carrying a precious life.

I had the worst experience. I suffered with a condition called Hyperemesis gravidarum and was puking 8-10 times a day. Puking lessened the further I went along with my pregnancy, but I was still vomiting all the way up to being in labor. The home remedies... mint, Ginger, salted crackers, the sea stone band gimmick, etc. did nothing. I had to fight tooth and nail with my OBGYN who was a f’ing b***h that didn’t believe giving prenatal medication even though I dropped over 20 lbs and blacked out in her goddamn office. I live by the beach, and even the salt air from the ocean had made me puke my guts in the driveway. I was in and out of the hospital with IVs, and the doctors couldn’t do a damn thing but watch me suffer.

The two months I was starving and dropped near 30 lbs. It finally stopped when the baby came out. I clearly remember after giving birth, I made my husband go to the nearest McDonald’s and bring over a Quarter Pounder burger, a large coke, and French fries ... and hysterically crying tears of joy because I couldn’t have any of that during my pregnancy without vomiting. It was amazing!

Good news is that HG is rare, but it does happen. I know 5 women who have gone through it. It’s by far the worst experience of my life. It’s why I refuse to have a second kid

What my husband did... he had to take off work frequently to take me to the hospital and doctor as I couldn’t drive (good luck handling that OP with 1. COVID restrictions and 2. Not being family preventing you from access). I was so feeble and weak at that point to operate a car (and I love driving/tinkering cars). He had to tell visitors to not bring food or anything with strong smells over because it triggered my nausea. Grocery shop (because I puked there twice trying to do it myself).

Offer to go for walks with her and hold her hand.

Doing any form of exercise was the last thing I wanted to do with nausea. Most of the time I just laid in bed or slept next to the toilet.

Awwww. I never once had morning sickness, not for a single minute with any of my three pregnancies, but I got sick two out of the three times in the delivery room. And then I came unglued when my then-husband tried to give me more than one ice chip at a time. With my first baby, as I was in labor, he tried to give me two once and I literally screamed at him "ONE AT A TIME!" So like others have said, listen to her. She will tell you. Pregnant women are not shy. And the more pregnant they get, the less shy they get.

P.S. If she asks you to go out at 3:00 a.m. and get a slurpee, I'd be inclined to do it.

Archived