LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My aunt is a narcissist and she wants to be my landlord

My aunt is a narcissist and she wants to be my landlord

About a year ago I moved out of my aunts house. We agreed to go half on the rent but because of COVID I havenít been able to get back on my feet as promised. I get unemployment but that pays for my needs and nothing else. My aunt offered a place that she owns worth my half of the rent but Iím reluctant to go because sheís known to break boundaries. Even in the place I have now she pops up without calling even though Iíve told her more than twice not to.

My fear is that Iíll get over there and sheíll be doing that AND more because now sheíll have a key. Also I have a mentally ill uncle that lived there about ten years ago and she called Marshals to get him out of there. She thinks Iím stupid and Iím lowkey wondering if thatís her plan for me which makes me even more wary to go.

Do you think I should struggle where Iím at or go in the cheaper apt and just deal with her a little longer?

I would stay away from the aunt given what you've written. Maybe finding a situation with some roommates, or even just a room to rent in someone's home is a better option.

Doesn't sound like it is worth it just to save a few bucks.

Do you still owe her money from last year? Ask your mom/dad what they think of the idea.

Right now you are secure I surmise but barely making it. What happens if you take the chance and she kicks you out in 3 months? Will you be worse off than now?

Lost

Wow you even need to ask this? The answer is a big NO!!! Bad idea and you know it will not work. Find roommates and move into a place with others to help pay the rent.

If you can think of safer and more private apartments or places to live, I would opt for those rather than living with any roommates. Consider your mental and emotional health along with your physical safety.

If she annoys you now, if you accept her offer it will be 1000x worse.
    Originally Posted by sugahcity
    the place I have now she pops up without calling even though Iíve told her more than twice not to.

Your story sounds very familiar. Anyways if you need cheaper rent, look somewhere else, and further away from your aunt.

Originally Posted by lostandhurt
    Doesn't sound like it is worth it just to save a few bucks.

Do you still owe her money from last year? Ask your mom/dad what they think of the idea.

Right now you are secure I surmise but barely making it. What happens if you take the chance and she kicks you out in 3 months? Will you be worse off than now?

Lost
    Okay I should have been more specific I can pay rent and bills in full but itís a ďrob peter to pay PaulĒ kind of situation. Other family members like her sister who she always scapegoats think I should do it because ďsheís getting old and if she died Iíd have something that belonged to meĒ

But thatís not a good reason to me because first of all waiting for someone to die to cash in and only to cash in is plain wrong and whoís to say sheís going to give it to me? Whoís to say I wonít have to fight other family members for it?

My next plan is YouTube which I have faith in but that money is not a paycheck. It could take months and up to a year to see revenue off of that

I know tons of young people looking to make it big on U Tube so you are wise not to see that as any sort of income.

If she is getting old and needs help from time to time then it would be good for you and her with that living arrangement but you are right it is kind of morbid to do it in hopes of scoring property.

How about this. Talk to her and tell her IF you agree to move in the place it will be just like any other renter with an agreement, privacy and rights for each of you. No just walking in unannounced or invading your privacy just because she owns the place.

If she agrees and you both have an agreement then I would consider it on a limited term basis.

Lost

Try having a discussion with her and ask her nicely if she could at least text or call you before she visits you. If she arrives at your doorstep unannounced, don't open the door. Repeat until she gets the message. I did this once long ago and the couple who popped in no longer came unannounced anymore. They learned after I ignored them twice in a row.

As for the key, ask her for privacy and not go into your place. If an argument ensues over this, you'll have to accept the way she is and these conditions because there's a catch to this cheaper rent.

If you can't deal with these circumstances, then struggle at a new place of your own. At least you'll have peace of mind despite the financial struggle. Weigh what is more important to you.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Videos

Maintaining A Strong Relationship

Detaching From a Malignant Man

Divorced Parents Prefer Technology and Social Media As Communication Tool

Wedding Jitters Could Be a Predictor for a Future Divorce

Botox Fights Depression And Makes You Feel Happier

Men Are More Sensitive than Women when Having Relationship Problems
Give Advice
Ask For Advice