Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Can you get PTSD from emotional abuse?

Originally Posted by Wiseman2
    It's good you stopped looking for validation, understanding or empathy from him and his people. Hopefully you've deleted and blocked them from all your social media and messaging apps and devices.

Try not to look for "understanding" from the outside. Your peace comes from you, not other people's social media about weddings and babies.
    I don't understand how to find peace within myself. I feel like I have all the facts, the confidence in my decision, and the knowledge that some wistfulness for the "good parts" is normal and I know to ignore that. I have some social support- not as much as I'd like but I do have some. I'm safe financially and I have my health and a home and things to be grateful for. I'm still feeling this apathy, like I can't imagine the point of anything and I can't feel any joy or escape from loneliness.

It will pass. This is a process and it may continue off and on for awhile. You're struggling to feel okay. It's like a child trying to run before they can walk. Just give yourself more time to recoup. The apathy and f-ck all will be there but your original self and your emotions will come back eventually. It takes a whole lot of time and patience... most of all with yourself. Don't give up. Take it easy.

You are going to feel better, but it will take time. Unfortunately, it's a process. Would be nice if there was an on/off switch, but nobody has found one yet.

"I can't feel any joy or escape from loneliness."

Try not to run before the loneliness as if it were a pursuer. Turn and face it down, and go through it, not around it.

Identify the times of day (or night) when that wave is hitting you hardest, and plan in advance some strategy to chase off the loneliness.

All the best.

Originally Posted by LaHermes
    "I can't feel any joy or escape from loneliness."

Try not to run before the loneliness as if it were a pursuer. Turn and face it down, and go through it, not around it.

Identify the times of day (or night) when that wave is hitting you hardest, and plan in advance some strategy to chase off the loneliness.
    I sooo agree with this. Most people trying to escape loneliness have never tried to meet it--and master it.

Once you can lessen the discomfort of loneliness, it's no longer your driver for taking up with people who barely distract you from it long enough before they make it worse.

When you can find comfort in going solo, you've upped your own picking power. You'll no longer settle for 'quick' over substance--and that's the best way to lead yourself into the territory of feeling valued.

Value your Self first, and the rest is icing on your cake.

Loneliness is a real beast. It distorts our thoughts and perceptions. It can actually kill you. So, you do have to be persistent and face it down, as LaHermes says. It sounds like you are doing this, to be honest.

I think I've posted this video on this site 10 times. Every time I post it, I remember how I refused to watch it for so long, because of the title. But it's really good. I think you may find it helpful:

Here's another good one by the same guy (and his name is Guy!). It explains how the mind plays tricks on itself.

So utterly true CF.

"When you can find comfort in going solo, you've upped your own picking power. You'll no longer settle for 'quick' over substance--and that's the best way to lead yourself into the territory of feeling valued."

Loneliness is a dreadfully bad advisor.

As Jib said: " It distorts our thoughts and perceptions."

Originally Posted by catfeeder
    I sooo agree with this. Most people trying to escape loneliness have never tried to meet it--and master it.

Once you can lessen the discomfort of loneliness, it's no longer your driver for taking up with people who barely distract you from it long enough before they make it worse.

When you can find comfort in going solo, you've upped your own picking power. You'll no longer settle for 'quick' over substance--and that's the best way to lead yourself into the territory of feeling valued.

Value your Self first, and the rest is icing on your cake.
    Exactly. I've found the most satisfying results in flipping the script and subverting how I'm "suppose" to feel. Being alone doesn't have to be a terrifying and paralyzing thing. It can actually be freedom. It can mean time to do what you enjoy, to help you understand yourself better and what you want out of life. It can mean peace and quiet from a world that is constantly throwing so much at us. We should embrace periods of solitude and use it to recharge. Be okay on your own and work on fulfilling your goals and pursuing what makes you happy. Once you have that, the fear and loneliness loses it's power. And in time, as much time as you need, you'll start to feel better and able to pursue the more social aspects you want.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Videos

Maintaining A Strong Relationship

Detaching From a Malignant Man

Divorced Parents Prefer Technology and Social Media As Communication Tool

Wedding Jitters Could Be a Predictor for a Future Divorce

Botox Fights Depression And Makes You Feel Happier

Men Are More Sensitive than Women when Having Relationship Problems
Give Advice
Ask For Advice